Marie's Reviews > Bringing Up Geeks: How to Protect Your Kid's Childhood in a Grow-Up-Too-Fast World

Bringing Up Geeks by Marybeth Hicks

Apr 20, 2009

bookshelves: children, nonfiction

The subtitle of this book is "How to Protect Your Kid's Childhood in a Grow-Up-Too-Fast World," and defines geeks as Genuine, Enthusiastic, Empowered Kids.

This book made me feel validated as a parent. As if we are actually doing not too badly as we decide how to raise our children.

The author, a parenting columnist and mom of 4, has 10 rules for raising "geeks":

Rule 1: Raise a brainiac
Rule 7: Raise a true friend
Rule 8: Raise a homebody
Rule 9: Raise a principled kid
Rule 10: Raise a faithful kid

Nonreligious readers should probably avoid Rule 10, because it talks about the importance of spirituality in a child's life...and how that helps them cope with some of the stresses of being a "geek."

While I was reading this book, we were dealing with an issue my middle schooler told me about (regarding some inappropriate behavior going on at school), and we made the decision to talk to the teacher about it. My middle schooler was not happy about this, but I explained to him that sometimes doing the right thing is not the popular thing.

I highly recommend this book for parents who want to raise children who are individuals and do not just go along with the hip and cool kid culture.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Up Geeks.

April 20, 2009 – Shelved
April 20, 2009 –
page 21
April 21, 2009 –
page 90
April 23, 2009 –
page 147
43.75% "Great book so far!"
Started Reading
April 24, 2009 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly I'd be really curious to know what you think of the book Marie. We're challenged by teaching Elliotte something better than what the other kids teach him at school and we often joke about trying to turn him into a Geek for his own protection.

Marie How old is Elliotte? So far, I like the book. I think it will be helpful reading!