Rissi's Reviews > Anomaly

Anomaly by Krista McGee

Feb 11, 2013

bookshelves: blog-tour, favorites, review
Recommended for: Avid Fans of Dystopian Novels, Krista McGee Fans

Ever since the rage of The Hunger Games caught on, dystopia fiction has become a broken record craze in the world of YA fiction. Specifically, the secular world has been a hive of popularity for this genre to succeed and it’s almost overplayed itself with clichés. Christian fiction has been more leery of the genre. Despite that, I’ll admit to being interested in several fandoms plus I practically squealed when learning that Christian authors were about to foray into the once uncharted territory that was futuristic fiction – bravo to these authors! Krista is a talented author so I knew the genre would be well represented from the start, and you know what? Anomaly certainly proves the reasons why Krista McGee is a bright light in the YA fiction scene. Because it’s a dystopian world destroyed from a nuclear war (which is really quite terrifying if a reader ponders the possibilities too long), the characters aren’t so much relatable as they are products of their environment. In other words, the first person narrative is more about its protagonist, Thalli trying to purpose the reason she is an “anomaly.” As a genetically altered product (a “Pod C” generation), Thalli isn’t supposed to emotionally react or feel or think beyond what she was designed to do – and her role in her Pod is that of a musician. Much of the story is told “in summary,” as we read through Thalli’s fears, questions and emotions of acting out, yet she rarely does – unable to distinguish between what’s “real” and what’s a stimulation.

Setting itself apart from its peers is the Christianity Krista wove into this story. It was done effortlessly and with 17-year-old Thalli’s curious nature, it was not hard to believe she’d seek out who The Designer was and why He was more powerful than the Scientists who are now in control of their “below” world. Frightening in its underpinnings, the faith of Thalli and her consuming, beautiful connections to God – through music, is powerfully depicted and was probably the most emotional element in the narrative. The fear doesn’t appear in overt instances but as we read chapter after chapter, it becomes more obvious that nothing is quite as it seems – our minds switch out possibilities often and spend a good deal of time wondering what alternative is the real thing. Paring it down to its most basic level, this book is kinda awesome. Everything is exactly how one would imagine the best kind of dystopia fiction should experience – the character’s names are unique and the setting is appropriately impersonal. This then leads us to the prose.

If there would be one negative of the story, it’s the writing. Don’t misunderstand; McGee wrote this story excellently, it’s just that because of the sci-fi vibes, the “voice” in the story is a bit abrupt, less poetic. Not sure this can be branded as a “con” considering, it has a purpose: it’s lending to the idea of an impersonal, logical world without feeling or belief in anything other than science or the “design” of what each Pod Mate was created to accomplish. Having anticipated this novel since learning of its existence, Anomaly DID NOT disappoint. It’s a fast read (cannot remember the last time I buzzed through a book so quickly) that literally leaves us hanging on its last words, wondering why its sequel isn’t already on our doorstep. Any reader knows that a sign of a great book is one that makes its reader wish that yearlong sequel watch weren’t so far away. In the meantime, this is one reader who is likely to reserve a spot for part one of Thalli’s journey on her keeper shelf.

Rating: 4.5

With thanks to Litfuse and the publisher for providing a complimentary copy of this book for reviewing purposes