Emily Selleck's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

bookshelves: modern, audio

Oh my god... Just... OH MY GOD... I know, I'm not being very intelligible, and I should have my thoughts together by now since I finished the book yesterday, but... Wow. This was one of the most wonderful books I think I've ever read. I am actually terrified to watch the movie because I just know that so much is going to be changed and I don't want a SINGLE THING ALTERED about this book. Lou Anne was the most surprising character for me and the one that resonated with me the most in the end, but her part is so small, I'm sure she won't even be in the movie and that is a tragedy. Oh my god, you guys, I was in tears in the parking lot so many times, for so many different reasons. I just don't even know how else to sum up this book. Read it. Just... read it.

ETA: I'm coming back to this now and I'm still having trouble coming up with words to describe how I feel about it. This is not a book about the civil rights movement. Do not let anyone tell you that this is a book about the civil rights movement (even though there are several mentions of it). It’s a book about people. It’s not about changing the world or any high-handed ideals. It’s a book about regular folks, living their lives and occasionally trying to make life suck a little less. Sometimes they succeed. Sometimes they don’t. Sometimes they think they haven’t succeeded, but then people like Lou Anne Templeton speak up, in quiet voices, hidden behind drugstore shelves, tugging at their long sleeves in the middle of the Mississippi summer, and you realize that success is sometimes not measured in the way that you think it is. I loved this book. I loved it so much that I am still terrified to watch the movie. Because I just don’t see how they could possibly fit all of these feelings and nuances into a two and a half hour movie. I’m going to watch it. But I’m putting it off for now, because I’m still marinating on the book. In the meantime, if anyone is reading this, you should pick up this book. Go find it in a used bookstore like I did if you have to. But read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

February 11, 2013 – Shelved
February 12, 2013 – Shelved as: modern
March 31, 2015 – Shelved as: audio
June 15, 2015 – Started Reading
June 15, 2015 –
June 17, 2015 –
9.0% "This book is fabulous. I am dying laughing and at the same time... wow. People kind of suck."
June 19, 2015 –
34.0% "YAY, THEY'RE GONNA DO THE THING! :D"
June 23, 2015 –
43.0% "This book makes me want to punch someone! "You can't argue with government!" Seriously?! Were there actually people that stupid?! ARE there actually people this stupid?!?! UGH. *punches a wall*"
June 24, 2015 –