Chelsea's Reviews > Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modern

Flapper by Joshua Zeitz

Apr 19, 2009

liked it
Read in June, 2009

Who made the flapper, who was the flapper...Ties the cultural revolution of the Flapper in with the close of WWI, the emergence of cities, the advent of advertising and consumerism, and the influence of movies and celebrity. Fun to read.

Its interesting to think of the 1920's and the parallels of this decade. The flapper image used and was used by consumerism to further the freedom of the individual and shake off old morality, yet now "consumer choice" is more often than not limiting our freedoms. But that is a discussion for a bigger book. Anyway, this one deals with some of the reasons for the flapper image and has lots of crazy stories about the people who lived it.

I thought this book would be a fun rallying feminist cry and that would be it, but it turns out its more complicated than that. It makes me wonder about the underlying values we have tied up with buying things and what "Modern" really means. I think the next book I'll read that would talk about the bigger questions is "Rites of Spring" by Eksteins about the advent of the Modern world out of WWI.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flapper.