Mindy Detweiler's Reviews > Two For Texas

F 50x66
Feb 11, 2013

it was ok
bookshelves: audio-books, books-read-in-2013

My Take: I really wanted to like this book, I really did but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't. I didn't find any of the characters in the least bit likable and even though I didn't want to I kept comparing this book to Lonesome Dove by Larry MacMurtry which I loved.

The story is about two escaped convicts that get caught up in the fight with Santa Anna for the freedom on Texas. The Alamo is mentioned although the two main characters didn't have anything to do with it.

Son Holland is the main character and seems to have alittle more redeeming character than his fellow escapee Hugh. He does seem to actually care about people whereas I got the feeling that Hugh sees people as a means to an end.

These two do have alot of adventures from the escaping prison to living with the Indians to fighting in the Texas Army against the Mexicans.

The Element that kept me listening to this book was Will Patton as the narrator. He did an excellent job bringing these characters to life and I enjoyed listening to his various voices for the different characters. I would definitely listen to another book that is narrated by Will Patton.

If you like westerns and don't mind the brutality that came often times with that life you may like this book.

I received a review copy of this book from Simon and Schuster in exchange for my honest opinion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two For Texas.