Michelle Leah Olson's Reviews > Sharp

Sharp by Alex  Hughes

Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:
*ARC received from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review

It's almost difficult to put into words what this book (and series) have to offer... It's a first person Sci-Fi - told from the point of view of our flawed and yet utterly lovable hero - with the grittiness of Urban Fantasy, the pace and intrigue of a good mystery, and some wonderful action and romantic tension thrown in for good measure, all rolled into an utterly unique and captivating world where Technology is the big bad.

It was a refreshing and fascinating read, with similarities to The Dresden Files, The Asylum Tales, Lost Girl and Sookie Stackhouse, though very much its own beautiful monster. In other words, I thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

LITERAL ADDICTION gives Sharp 4 Skulls and would definitely recommend it to Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Urban Fantasy readers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharp.

February 11, 2013 – Shelved
April 19, 2013 – Shelved as: reviewed
October 3, 2013 – Shelved as: re-read
October 3, 2013 – Shelved as: bible-books
October 3, 2013 – Shelved as: literally-addicted-to-detail-book

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Jeffrey Not sure that I would characterize a science fiction series with telepathy as urban fantasy

Michelle Leah Olson True, it's a sci-fi fantasy, but is tagged as urban fantasy, fantasy, sci-fi and even mystery in the different places - here, Amazon, Penguin, etc. And I met Alex at an Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance book convention and she was on the Urban Fantasy panels. I will call it out more specifically in my final published review though. Thanks.

Jeffrey I still do not see how its fantasy at all. True, SF Signal compares it to Jim Butcher's Dresden files, a noted urban fantasy series, but there really are no fantasy elements in the book. I think they are looking at the detective elements.

It seems to me, that fantasy and urban fantasy are very ascendant among readers nowadays, so it helps to try to fit it into urban fantasy in order to sell more copies. But I will look for your review. I like the series and hope she sells.