Natasha is a Book Junkie's Reviews > Are You Mine?

Are You Mine? by N.K. Smith

bookshelves: arc

“Not everything has to be so serious, Saige.”
“Not everything has to be a joke, Fox.”

Opposites attract. Two people that are different in every single way and yet cannot resist the pull bringing them closer together. This is the story of Saige and Fox, two young people on the brink of adulthood, but with very different attitudes towards the unpredictable future before them.

Saige is not a people person. She does not enjoy spending time with people nor does she make any efforts to make others like her, her abrasive personality preventing her from making friends. But deep down this toxic persona that Saige uses as a protective façade is not the person she really is. Having lost both parents to violent deaths very early on in her childhood, Saige walks through life never committing to anything – people, feelings, plans, decisions. She made procrastination into an art form, choosing to be a bystander in her own life because she is too afraid of further loss and disappointment.
“It’s a cold hard fact that people suck, and those who don’t suck aren’t dependable anyway, so there is no use putting your hopes and dreams in them.”

Fox is the life of every party. His happy personality makes him everyone’s favourite person, his contagious positivity being his dominant trait. But Fox has his own crosses to bear, his mother’s mental illness leaving him helpless and heartbroken, and his learning disability making him feel ashamed of his own inadequacies. And yet, Fox is like a ray of sunshine, never dull and never not shining brightly when among people. He’s a good son, a reliable worker, a passionate artist, and when he meets Saige, he does not see her darkness like most people in her life, he sees a hurt young woman desperate not to get hurt again.
“Who hurt you?”
“No one hurt me.”
“You’ve never given anyone the chance, have you?”

What starts as a unlikely connection, slowly develops into a gentle romance. Saige fights Fox’s advances relentlessly and stubbornly, but the more time they spend together and the more of Fox’s inner sunshine she basks in, the more she cannot help but fall in love with him. He brings her out of her shell, forces her to face her own demons and finally think of her future. But this is not an easy battle for either of them – Saige’s loneliness and pain from losing her parents have affected her deeply and moulded her into someone who is so terrified of further loss that she would rather give up on happiness rather than risk losing it later on in the future.
“I guess I just want to be the one–”
“Who leaves this time?”

This is a story of learning to love oneself, of finding strength and courage to take risks even when life has given you only suffering, of making changes in oneself when you come across something or someone worth making the effort. Saige and Fox’s beautiful romance is a timeless lesson of human endurance and capacity to heal, a testament that there’s a Phoenix in all of us, ready to rise from the ashes and embrace life to the fullest. Ms Smith is a skilled wordsmith, her writing style is atmospheric, moving, inspiring. She writes with sincerity and heart, and every story she weaves is deeply emotional and personal. You feel every layer of the characters’ personalities, every dilemma and every heartbreak. I FELT this story, I lived this story and I loved every minute of it.
“Underneath your hard, abrasive exterior and underneath my soft, friendly persona, we’re the same. You hide out and I let out. You go inside yourself, and I go outside myself, but apart from what’s out here,” I say, gesturing to her, myself, and our surroundings, “we’re just little kids wondering if anyone else understands what it’s like to lose the things we’ve lost.”

[4.5 STARS]

See this review on my blog! | Follow me on Facebook! | Follow me on Twitter!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are You Mine?.

February 11, 2013 – Shelved
May 22, 2013 – Shelved as: arc
Started Reading
August 26, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Farhin (new) - added it

Farhin Fantastic review, makes me wanna pick up the book