DaisyGirl's Reviews > Silver/Steel

Silver/Steel by Belinda McBride

Feb 11, 2013

bookshelves: december-holidays, erotica-bdsm, genre-romance, i-own, m-m, other-made_me_cry, romance-pnr
Read from February 10 to 12, 2013

3.5 stars rounded up to 4.0

Dylan Ryve is a dream hunter assassin. Long ago, he traded his life for the safety of his family and the people of his village. In exchange, Dylan is required to hunt 1,000 lives or forfeit his own. He is one hunt away from being freed from centuries of enslavement. This time, however, his prey is a member of the magical town of Arcada and he is unable to find a way in. One night, Dylan spots Travis raising hell in a bar. The attraction between Dylan and the beautiful shapeshifter is mutual. When Travis is attacked in the parking lot, Dylan comes to his rescue. Dylan walks in Travis's fevered dreams while he recovers from the attack. Through the dreams, Dylan learns about Arcada and the pack and Travis learns about Dylan’s life before the imposition of the geas. Despite their differences and opposing interests, they fall deeply for each other. Silver/Steel is the story of Dylan and Travis’s fight for survival and eventual HEA.

I liked this book better than the first. I enjoyed the imagery of the different dream states. I really liked Dylan’s character; he was a refreshing change from the ho-hum of PNR shapeshifters. I loved Travis and his extended family. The people of Arcada make for a nice backdrop to the story. This story would have gotten a higher rating from me but for the last 10%. I didn’t care for the encounter with Ulric (the evil enslaver). Also, the ending of the book was a little melancholy for my tastes. I would have liked to have read about the reunion between Dylan and his loved ones. Maybe in the next installment?

Lastly, I’m with Bubbles on the cover: didn’t like it.

Bottom line: an improvement over the first book but the ending could’ve been better. Regardless, I am hopeful that the series will continue and look forward to more stories of Arcada and its inhabitants.

Re-Read on 12/12/13: My rating stands. Loved the book. The cover? Not so much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver/Steel.

02/11/2013
20.0% "Wow. Interesting encounter with 'the woman who holds Arcada's soul'. What's Dylan's story, I wonder."
02/11/2013
24.0% "Dylan came down, and Travis caught the cold, snowy scent of him, the fragrance of pine and oak and the perfume of apple."
Mmmmmmm."
02/12/2013
91.0% "OMG. Travis and Jason are pathetic. What kind of rescue operation is this?!? They didn't even have a plan going in! Not a viable one, anyway! Gaaad!!!!! Irritating."

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Daisy! Looking forward to this one!

DaisyGirl Blacky wrote: "Great review Daisy! Looking forward to this one!"

Thanks, Blacky. Hope you enjoy it. ;)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Thanks, I hope I will :) Just got it in NetGalley, but I'll read the first book first LOL :D