Mike's Reviews > Odyssey of the West V: A Classic Education through the Great Books: Enlightenment, Revolution, and Renewal

Odyssey of the West V by Timothy B. Shutt

Apr 19, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: philosophy, world-history, literature, politics, science, evolution
Read in May, 2009

This was a fairly good entry into the series. It is hurt somewhat by the disparate styles of the four lecturers. On the other hand, I think I finally have a better handle of what Rousseau was going on about. Dr. Baumann does a particularly good job on Marx an the Federalist papers, as well.

Shutt, as always, is a pleasure to listen to, and like all of his art-history lectures, his entry on Romantic painters is hurt only by not having the pictures in front of me to look at as I drove. He does a fair job in his lecture on Darwin, but falls for some older fallacies that have been resolved long ago, such as "what use is a partial eye"? If you think about that for a second, you'll realize that it is quite a lot of use compared to being completely blind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Odyssey of the West V.