Lucas's Reviews > Bleachers

Bleachers by John Grisham

Apr 19, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009

The story surrounds a former quarterback named Neely Crenshaw, who played high school football for Messina high school. Neely was one of, if not the best player the school ever produced. But while surrounding Neely, the novel also explores the head coach of the Messina high school team for many years- Eddie Rake. When Rake dies, most of the players that played for him- more than 700- come back to Messina for his funeral, and they try to figure out whether they loved the coach, or hated him. I thought this plot was really interesting because at first look, you think the story is about Neely, but as you read, you understand that its really all about Eddie Rake and his impact on the players' lives. Like most books I read, this book was about sports, and I can relate to this because I've been on many sports teams, and have mad many different coaches, some whom I have liked, and some who I haven't. This is the first book I have read by John Grisham and I look forward to reading more of his books, as I have seen some of the movie adaptations, such as "The Firm".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bleachers.