seton's Reviews > Wicked All Day

Wicked All Day by Liz Carlyle

Apr 18, 2009

bookshelves: childhood-connect

I have a love/hate thang with Liz Carlyle.

LOVED her first 2 books - My False Heart and A Woman Scorned. In fact, one of the reasons I read this bk was because the Stuart and Zoe are children of the H/Hs in those books. I would recommend that you read those bks first before tackling this one.

On the other hand, later bks like The Devil You Know and Two Little Lies were wallbangers. I almost gave up LC for good after reading those. A common school of thought on LC - and one that I share - is that LC is not what she used to be. In terms of technical skills, she CAN be one of the best historical writers working today. She writes formal, rich, character-driven novels with deeply flawed characters. However, I almost never list her as one of my favorite authors because her bks rarely come together into a totally satisfying read for me. . . .

Such is the case with WAD. There are a lot of things in WAD that are on my instant hits list: H/H who know each other from childhood and Hero Pining. Unfortunately, as often happens with bks with this setup, I dont see where Zoe and Stuart fell in love. That is always a big sticking pt with me. Second, after the villain coming back from the dead, LC employs two of my least favorite Soap Opera tropes to move the story along. One of these tropes, I hated so much in this book that I never got beyond it. Third, I was less than enthralled with the spoiled, mischievious Zoe in LC's last novel: Tempted All Night and my opinion didnt change with her own book.

So . . . while WAD was okay, it was not as good as LC's last 4 books. Perhaps you have noticed the number of bks I mentioned connected to this novel (and I didnt list all of the connected bks either)? WAD is more for the hardcore LC fan. LC will not always explain all the relationships from previous bks to a new reader. She might info dump or she might just expect you to know all the particulars. Zoe and Stuart are called "cousins" throughout this bk but they are actually distant cousins BY MARRIAGE and dont have any blood ties between them.

Grade: B-
Sensuality: PG-13 (not one of LC's hotter bks)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked All Day.

message 1: by Corrine (new)

Corrine I've tried LC before and it didn't click, but I have My False Heart coming in the mail, so I'm glad to see you listed here as one of your faves. Excellent review, seton!

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user Eh?! Now I don't know what to think. Which soap opera tropes do you mean?

seton Corrine - thanks! I hope you enjoy MFH. Just be aware that the older Carlyle bks have a more deliberate pace.

NU - I'll PM you spoilers. I really dont want to mention them here since one of them happen pretty late in the bk.

message 4: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Seton

Fani *loves angst* Well, the first review I read about this one was more promising... But now, I have to reconsider adding it to my wish-list after all. Besides, Carlyle is far from being my favorite writer as well.