Mark's Reviews > Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid

Why We Suck by Denis Leary

2058175

Offensive, rude, acid tongued. That’s when he’s in a good mood. And that’s exactly why I love reading this book. I love Dennis’ relentlessly un-pc view of life. His parodies. His exaggerated views. His acerbic, rapier wit. This book showcases his slaying of victimhood and the self-absorbed posers who invade his world by living in it. By un-pc, I mean he tells it exactly the way things are. The truth hurts, and most people can’t handle it. He paints the script with just enough exaggeration and making that he makes you scream out loud laughing one second, and yet makes you think the next. A dual edged sword of comedy.

Written with a nice sense of pacing, the punchlines are scathingly funny. I enraged an entire plane of passengers with my howling, to the point that the beefy beehive Stewardess waggled her index finger at me throwing daggers. Escaping this near death experience, I continued on in muffled silence. For edgy social commentary jokes, this is about as fast-paced and ruthless as it gets. Comedy is best delivered when it’s based on truth. This is raw in your face truth, and one of the funniest things I’ve read in a long time. Classic. Just classic Dennis.

Hicks, Carlin, Miller and Leary all have carved out a slice in this raw genre of intellectual humor. I can count on one hand the writer’s whose books make me laugh. The core of this content is taboo topics, and insults of the US celebrity-obsessed culture, and the endless assortment of sappy whiners with a complete lack of responsibility. But Dennis also dishes out some funny childhood experiences that had me rolling, since I could so easily relate to them. If you like this style of comedy, this book is a must own. Another new ripping satire I’d highly recommend
High Heels and Dirty Deals - Globetrotting Tales of Debauchery from a Binge-drinking Nymphomaniac

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Suck.

Finished Reading
April 18, 2009 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Chambers Wow. As writer to (clearly) another writer, you thought about that. Not that I don't agree with you and your analysis, but please...don't make it so obvious that some money changed hands for this review.