Anne Osterlund's Reviews > Kilmeny of the Orchard

Kilmeny of the Orchard by L.M. Montgomery

Apr 17, 2009

Read from October 17 to 19, 2010

Eric Marshall is a calm, straight-laced young man set to commit his future to business. Because he isn’t opposed to it. But when his friend, Larry West, has to duck out early on a teaching contract—due to health problems—Eric agrees to step into the breach and plunge into the abyss of the Lindsey schoolhouse on Prince Edward Island.

Little does he know that on P.E.I. waits a girl with jet black hair and sea green eyes. A girl who believes she is ugly and roams the orchard, speaking through her violin. And who has never connected with a living soul beyond her family . . .

Until Eric.

Kilmeny of the Orchard is a lovely, old-fashioned romance, easy to blitz through in an afternoon. The orchard itself is described so beautifully it is like a character all on its own. And I very much enjoyed seeing Eric hurdle straight out of his level-headed self.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kilmeny of the Orchard.

09/20/2016 marked as: read

Carrie Goodall It's been years since I read this! If you haven't read The Blue Castle by Montgomery, you must!

Anne Osterlund Hi Carrie,

Yes, I read the Blue Castle a few years ago, recommended by my best friend. Enjoyed it a lot!

Anne

Elizabeth Oh my goodness...I haven't read this in years...Such a good read, and (I feel like) its relatively unknown, which is sad. I'll have to re-visit this now :)

message 4: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Keyte I love all of her books. They just make me happy.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin I haven't read this in years, but I have to admit that as a kid, Kilmeny didn't engage me as much as some of Montgomery's more spirited heroines. Maybe I should try it again sometime.

message 6: by Erin (new)

message 7: by Erin (new)

Carrie Goodall No, Kilmeny is not nearly engaging as Anne, Emily and Valancy. But she is very sweet and lovable, if I remember correctly.

Anne Osterlund I think an important difference here is that Kilmeny is not the main character. She is the mystery. The reader is rarely in her head. Eric is the main character and the one I connected with.

Foggygirl I think I read this book years ago but I'll be sure to check it out!