Simone's Reviews > Through My Eyes: Lindy Chamberlain An Autobiography

Through My Eyes by Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton

7520534

bookshelves: aww2013, great-aus-reads-2013

Although I was only a child when baby Azaria Chamberlain went missing from her tent at Ayer's Rock in 1980, I can clearly remember the media storm it created. In my child's eyes, I presumed that what the newspapers and TV were saying was right - that there was something 'strange' about the story and that Lindy Chamberlain was, in fact, guilty. Fortunately as I got older (and wiser) I came to realise it was actually a gross miscarriage of justice. I can also clearly remember the day my English teacher announced he had just heard in the staff room that she had been freed. Even though I had never met this woman I felt so happy for her and for her family, that they would be together again. Of course real life is never quite that simple and as it is well known now, Michael and Lindy'a marriage crumbled soon after.

Having always had quite an interest in the Chamberlain case and having seen the mini-series based on this book, I was excited to come across it in the library. It was not the earliest edition, but not the latest either (so it did cover her divorce etc but not the most recent events). Although a very lengthy book and with a fair amount of legal information and details, I just couldn't put it down. It stirred so many emotions in me - joy as she spoke of her love for her precious daughter and the beautiful few weeks they spent together, gut-wrenching sadness when Azaria was taken and the aftermath and true anger at the way the Chamberlains were treated by the NT police, the legal system, the media and the Australian public.

I think the thing that struck me most was Lindy's amazing strength of character. No matter what was thrown at her, she stayed strong to her own morals and her faith. Whether or not you agree with her beliefs you cannot help but be blown away at what this woman endured and at the fact she is not bitter. There is definitely a life lesson in that.

Another thing that struck me was that before they left on that ill-fated camping trip the Chamberlains were just an average family with absolutely no aspirations to become a media sensation. They literally had not control over the path their life took, which is a sobering thought to ponder.

I was truly touched and humbled by this book and will long remember the impact it had on me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through My Eyes.

February 8, 2013 – Shelved