Liviu's Reviews > Devices and Desires

Devices and Desires by K.J. Parker

Apr 16, 2009

bookshelves: genre-fantasy, read_2009
Read in April, 2009

When I finished The Company my first KJ Parker read the first impression was an utterly absorbing read that felt a complete waste of time at the end, so it got a snippy "first and last KJ Parker book" comment from me.

Well, I sometimes remark on others misjudging a book based on wrong expectations - and sometimes it's simply because the way a book is promoted - so it's just right to acknowledge that I had the same issue with The Company, wrong expectations.

So after several months passed since my reading it, my reaction to that book still bothered me - it's rare to find a book so utterly compelling that I could not put it down and feel so "empty" at the end - and I liked the ending, I felt it actually redeemed what came before in the last 100-150 pages or so that disappointed me so badly - so being in a mood for a compelling dark fantasy I turned to KJ Parker books again starting with this and Pattern with the rest slowly making their way to me from various online bookstores.

This time I had no preconceptions, accepted the matter of fact, cynical, detached but superb style of the author and the book just rolled end to end and now I have to check everyday the mail and see if volumes 2 and 3 are here :)

Great book - not for everyone - dark, cynical, in a dry but darkly funny and appropriate style

And the twists and turns including the last page are astounding :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devices and Desires.

12/11/2016 marked as: read