Nancy's Reviews > Just Like Fate

Just Like Fate by Cat Patrick

Feb 07, 2013

I do like the SLIDING DOORS type books. I like to see a turning point and the protagonist takes both paths for the reader's enjoyment. There is a big difference with this book and any other I have read. I can't tell what the difference is because it would be a huge spoiler.

It starts with a fictitious band and particular song that makes no sense to me. Caroline is sitting in class when she is alerted that her grandmother is dying. Five years ago, Caroline tired of her parents' acrimonious divorce and moved in with her grandmother. Enter family dynamics that are very realistic and Caroline finds herself outside her grandmother's hospice room after another childish fight with her older sister and her phone rings. It's her best friend offering to take her out for the evening. Stay or go? That one decision sets different circumstances into motion.

By the end of the book, I still didn't understand all of the song's lyrics but I did understand the underlying message. I liked the ending and I liked the idea that fate is open for mistakes and detours. That when we make mistakes, and we will no matter what path we take, what makes us is how we learn and grow from those mistakes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Like Fate.