Peter's Reviews > Fresh Off the Boat: A Memoir

Fresh Off the Boat by Eddie Huang

Feb 07, 2013

it was ok

I appreciate that Eddie tried to be himself and sound personable to his readers. However, I think that it's hard for me to relate to him and to understand his arguments. To me, he wants to be seen as son of working class immigrant parents, who appreciates his heritage, and "keeps it real". But, he pretty much contradicts himself consistently. He openly talks about how much he hates his parents, how he acted like a huge asshole growing up (which gives him, his family, and his heritage a bad rap), and his hood voice changes from chapter to chapter. He'll write a whole chapter using words like illest/fux/cot damn, but then go into talking about food using these really pretentious cooking terms like "cooking off the first".

I thought the book was really poorly written and organized. At the end of one chapter, he talks about how he got into Syracuse for college, has a scholarship, and is determined to go against he father's wishes. The next chapter starts something like "When I got to Pittsburgh..." What? Where did that come from? I appreciate how he speaks against stereotypes of Asian men as emasculated, but he only talks about women as "shawties". So, counter feeling emasculated by being demeaning to women?

Eddie credits Guy Fieri for pushing him to get him into the restaurant business, but then bashes Guy and the Food Network which makes it seem like he has no respect or loyalty. So yeah, I have a million problems with this book. I think there are some interesting points, but overall, it's just a lot of nonsensical stupidity about getting high and being a dick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fresh Off the Boat.

February 7, 2013 – Shelved