Mike's Reviews > Wonder Woman, Volume 2: Guts

Wonder Woman, Volume 2 by Brian Azzarello

Feb 07, 2013

bookshelves: found-via-goodreads

A little melodramatic to start, but Azzarello has a compelling take on the classic WW mythology, that I happen to think make more sense - and make for a richer universe in which to set WW's stories. What makes more sense, and gives room for more pathos: Amazonians are a race somehow devoid of males, or that Amazonians *choose* not to keep the males as part of their culture?

This reminds me of Milligan's attempt to put a modernist spin on Greek mythology, in his Greek Street series. I didn't really care for it - for all his contortions to make the characters seem hip and relevant, it was too stiff and artificial for me to feel immersed. Here is a different story - Azzarello let's us observe the patient interplay between timeless beings who've been around and around this trouble too many times to count. I find this much more compelling - like we're watching a chess masters' competition, where each move is meaningful and heavily contemplated.

Skeptical as I've been that Azzarello has any real writing talent, I gotta admit his dialogue and plotting have been giving me pleasant surprises in this (and the previous) book. I find the writing not just clever but nearly artful - there's an underlying fluidity to the way the characters speak, and talk to each other - not poetic in the strictest sense, but...lingering, like there's an echo left behind by the words.

I'm enjoying the gods showing up only as much as they're necessary to the plot and then fading back again, and while there's far more gods than humans among the pages, somehow with Wonder Woman at the center of the action, it still feels grounded. Enough so that when WW is granted a new power, it's genuinely affecting and not just taken for granted.

Wonder Woman in these books is a woman of strength, conviction, bravery and empathy - but in no way is she a force to be f***ed with. I encounter no condescension or expectation that anyone else should "save" her - in fact more to the point, she's the ringleader of a gang of badasses that are just as much her equals as she theirs.

Chiang and Akins both bring their strong style to this book, making it feel bold, stark and arresting to watch the action. The secret star of the art team has to be the colourist however, who takes the pencils and gives them real life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Woman, Volume 2.

February 7, 2013 – Shelved
February 7, 2013 – Shelved as: found-via-goodreads
March 30, 2013 – Started Reading
March 30, 2013 – Finished Reading

Jacobi "Skeptical as I've been that Azzarello has any real writing talent" Ouch!

Not really a fan of 100 Bullets I take it?

Totally agree with your summation of Wonder Woman's character in this run. It's the perfect balance of strength and empathy. I think her characterization is really helped that she's, as you point out, the ringleader of a group of people who would be the leader of any other group they were a part of -- but here they all follow Diana.