Amy Logg's Reviews > A Song for Julia

A Song for Julia by Charles Sheehan-Miles

Feb 06, 2013

bookshelves: new-adult, romance, contemporary, ebooks, i-have-a-secret

More reviews at The Reading Realm

“Because you make me better. You make me-you make me feel like I matter. Like my life matters. I feel like, with you, I can do anything in the world. That we can do anything in the world. And we will.” - Crank

***Mild spoilers***

THE GOOD:

The story:
The story follows the friendship/romance between Julia & Crank, two very different personalities - very much an 'opposites attract' kind of story. They come from completely differently worlds & families, but they find common ground in their love of music.

Julia has had a difficult childhood moving around a lot because of her father's career. She's also experience a traumatic relationship in the past and was betrayed by her best friend, and as a result has major trust issues. She's no longer close to her family, especially her mother, who blames Julia for her bad reputation with the media that effected her father's career.

Crank also had a rough childhood, with his brother Sean having Aspergers, and his mother leaving them when he was a child. He & his father have a strained relationship, often fighting over Cranks future & his past mistakes, but their mutual love & protection of Sean keeps them close.

The romance:
Julia & Cranks romance starts out a little rocky, surprisingly with Crank wanting more than a one night stand, but Julia doesn't want to get into a relationship & they part ways. But after another chance meeting they begin something of a friendship. And although Julia resists her feelings at first, Crank begins to break down the walls that Julia has put up to protect herself from being hurt, and they grow closer. Their relationship felt very genuine, which made their love scenes all the more romantic (while still being quite steamy)

The characters:
With Crank, Sheehan-Miles proves it is possible to write a bad boy character without him being a complete douche. Yes he's slept around & he acts out the 'rock star' persona on stage, but he has some real depth to him. Some of the scenes with him & his family really show a different side to him & I loved that. However he doesn't just change instantly from bad boy rocker to sweet as pie boyfriend material. When reading his POV he often says he feels like he wants more from life than a string of one night stands. He's character grows throughout the story and I grew to really like him.

Julia started out as a very stiff and controlling character. At first I didn't think I would really warm to her, but after a few chapters I started to see the real Julia, not the 'perfect student' image she tries to portray. You can really feel that she is unhappy with her life - she's not a survivor, she's just surviving. She is so afraid to trust anyone because she has been burnt in the past. As she gradually begins to trust Crank, we can see Julia start to find happiness again.

The secondary characters were also really well fleshed out. Crank's father & his brother brought the scenes to life. The light joking dialogue between them & Julia was fun & felt very realistic. But they also had some tense & dramatic scenes as well. I felt like they were a real family that could be living next door to anybody. I especially liked the relationship between Julia & Sean (Crank's Asperger's brother), it was absolutely beautifully written.

The Writing:
I was surprised to discover half way through this book that the author was male (not that I don't like male authors), I just haven't read many romance novels written by men (there don't seen to be a lot out there). But this was beautifully written. One of the most successful parts of the writing was the dual POVs of Julia & Crank. Often with dual POV both characters have very similar voices, and the hero's can sometimes sound a little feminine. But Sheehan-Miles has created two individual voices to match their very distinct personalities - I never had to check as to who's POV I was reading.

THE BAD:
I really have nothing bad to day about this one

FINAL WORD:
This book was so much more than I though it would be. With beautiful writing and rich dynamic characters this is a raw emotional story that goes well beyond a simple romance.

CONTENT:
Sexuality: medium / sex scenes
Violence: mild / fist fight
Language: medium / regular use of f*ck
Drugs & alcohol: medium / some drinking and Crank smokes
Other: **major spoiler** (view spoiler)

More reviews at The Reading Realm
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Song for Julia.

February 6, 2013 – Shelved