Agile Kindergarten's Reviews > A to XP: The Agile ABC Book

A to XP by Karen Favazza Spencer

Feb 05, 2013

Well, I may be biased. I did write the book, after all. Let me tell you about how A to XP: The Agile ABC Book came about.

Working in 3 different companies, I asked multiple team members what books on the Agile approach had they read. A common response was, none. Since they were "doing" Agile, they either felt they didn't need to study it, or they had a book on their shelf, but hadn't gotten around to reading it. I realized that the many excellent books written on Agile frameworks such as Scrum, Lean and eXtreme Programming presented too many choices, making it easier to avoid reading anything.

It occurred to me that one of the first books that children read to develop literacy is an ABC book. It may not tell you everything you need to know, but an ABC book gives you the basic building blocks. Additionally, ABC books present information in discrete chunks with memorable maxims. Consequently, as a former kindergarten teacher, it seemed that creating an illustrated ABC book with predictable headings, memorable maxims and short, concise narrative could be not only a useful entry point for Agile teams, but also be a very "Agile" thing to do.

I had pretty much finished the first draft of the text, when a casual conversation at the community garden with my neighbor, free lance artist Mary Lou Nye, led to a partnership that brought this book to completion.... and I couldn't be more pleased!

I look forward to your reviews!

(BTW: It is currently only available on my website: http://agilekindergarten.com/a-to-xp-... )

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A to XP.