Robert's Reviews > Thinking, Fast and Slow

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

bookshelves: non-fiction

This book was work to get through, but very rewarding work. Kahneman is one of the most intelligent and insightful authors I have ever read.

Our brains and our quick judgments aren't set up well for certain situations. We often make blatantly wrong decisions based on how something is presented to us.

We can somewhat overcome some of these irrationalities by being aware of them and questioning our intuition. This book is an effort to do just that.

It's almost scary to realize just how much of our interpretation of the world is just that - interpretation. We create stories out of what happens to us and out of the past to help us remember and process events. What we usually remember is our interpretation, or our story, not the actual events.

Ideas from the book sparked a lot of conversations with Emily that proved helpful in understanding why people act the way they do. One example perfectly explained why certain advertising was presented in the way it was.

In the future I think I'll be much slower to assume I know why someone is doing something and much more lenient in assigning fault or blame.

Thinking Fast and Slow probably isn't for everyone, but if you're interested in better understanding how the human mind works, the effort will be well worth it.

Page Turner: 6/10
Honest: 8/10
Intelligent: 10/10
Uplifting: 7/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking, Fast and Slow.

February 5, 2013 – Shelved