Agile Kindergarten's Reviews > The Art of Choosing

The Art of Choosing by Sheena Iyengar

Feb 05, 2013

Decision Making - what delicious fun and dreadful conundrums! Salesmen and teachers have always known - that presentation matters, but Iyengar reveals just how much and why! In this exceedingly eclectic and very readable book, Iyengar discusses the tension between our automatic and reflective mental systems when making decisions. She explores the heuristics and biases present in cultural differences and the coping skills we use to diffuse cognitive dissonance. Iyengar is most famous for the "jam experiment" where shoppers bought significantly more when faced with a choice of 6 or less types of jam than when overwhelmed by dozens of choices. However, Iyengar's research promises profound impact on more than just 21st century marketing. Information overload and the complexity of our choices often lead to poor choices &/or dissatisfaction with our choices, yet we seek out the excessive input and zealously protect our freedom to choose. Should we? If we do, how do we handle it?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Choosing.