Shawna's Reviews > Letters to a Secret Lover

Letters to a Secret Lover by Toni Blake

Apr 14, 2009

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, erotic-romance-erotica-romantica, author-toni-blake-lacey-alexander, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, tattoos-piercings-body-art, small-town-lovin, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, i-read-no-longer-own-sold-swapped, made-me-cry, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, animals-matter, 2010-reads, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, dirty-talk-turns-me-on, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, favorites, hero-beta, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, heroine-i-adore, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, romantic-suspense, sizable-packages-size-matters, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, 5-stars, love-letters-diary-correspondence, hero-brooding, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot
Recommended for: Fans of hot contemporary romance & sexy, mysterious, gruff, loner "I don't do love" heroes

** spoiler alert ** 5 stars – Contemporary Romance

There’s probably not much left to say that hasn’t already been covered since many of my GR friends have already written such great reviews, so I’ll just join the bandwagon and do a little bit of gushing.

Letters to a Secret Lover is a fun, sweet, sexy, touching, smokin’ hot contemporary romance with a H/H who’s initial opposition transitions to an explosive attraction that results in a steamy affair and of course leads to a deep emotional connection. It’s reminiscent of Blake’s Destiny series and Robyn Carr’s Virgin River series (only waaay hotter) because of the charming small town setting of Moose Falls and endearing secondary characters that add an extra fun spark to the story.

I really liked Lindsey, even though she was a bit airheaded, naïve, shallow, and selfish at times, but she was also nice, funny, adorably cute and quirky, and most of all, real. I could totally see myself shopping and laughing over cosmos with her...or raiding her designer shoes. Her tendency to babble nonstop over ridiculous, random things when she was nervous was hilarious. I thought she was a perfect fit for Rob, who was such an incredibly sweet, romantic, caring soul underneath his surly, gruff, guarded, lone wolf, lumberjack persona. I just about melted over the way he insisted on always holding Lindsey’s hand, once she started to crack through his tough shell, and his fetish for her extravagant, animal print lingerie cracked me up. Their love scenes were supercharged with passion and scorching hot!

Rob’s painful, mysterious past and dangerous secrets were handled and revealed in a realistic, honest way. I just knew Lindsey’s revealing private details about her affair with Rob, however innocently, on her blog was going to have some serious consequences, but the twist and turn of events and character reactions still took me by surprise, which I liked since I find it irritating when I easily predict exactly what’s going to happen in a story.

So kudos to Ms. Blake for keeping the characters genuine, the story refreshing, the suspense exciting, the emotion compelling, and the romance extra steamy! It’s an enjoyable, moving romance with a lovable H/H that had me laughing, sighing, smiling, reaching for some ice water, and even crying. 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters to a Secret Lover.

April 14, 2009 – Shelved
August 20, 2010 – Shelved as: small-town-lovin
August 20, 2010 – Shelved as: enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract
August 20, 2010 –
page 226
61.08% "I've got a feeling their current state of postorgasmic bliss is about to shatter. Shouldn't she be smart enough to know it's not wise to blog about a man as private and guarded as Rob?!?!"
August 21, 2010 –
January 6, 2011 – Shelved as: 5-stars
February 25, 2011 – Shelved as: love-letters-diary-correspondence
February 25, 2011 – Shelved as: hero-brooding
May 27, 2011 – Shelved as: mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot

Dina "I just knew Lindsey’s revealing private details about her affair with Rob, however innocently, on her blog was going to have some serious consequences, but the twist and turn of events and character reactions still took me by surprise ..."

I thought that was great too. I love when characters talk to each other and work things out. Boy, I loved this book! Glad to see you enjoyed it too, Shawna. :)

Shawna I liked that about the characters, too, Dina. I definitely enjoyed it...especially yummy Rob! :)

♡Karlyn P♡ great review! there was so much I loved about this one. The letters allowed us to see a deeper side of Rob, which I thoroughly enjoyed. And it was smoking HOT!! One of my all time favorite contemp reads. Glad you loved it too.

KindleRomance Reviews Great review! This was my first book by her and I really enjoyed it.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review! I was trying to decide what to read next, even started another book, but I'm switching to this one!

Shawna Thanks, ladies! I hope you enjoy it, Dhestiny!

message 7: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Terrific review Shawna! :) I keep hearing really good things about this one.

Note to self: Must buy Letters to a Secret Lover soon.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I got my copy from B&N online. It was the hardcover on clearance for $1.99

message 9: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I got my copy from B&N online. It was the hardcover on clearance for $1.99"

Awesome! Thanks for the tip.

Shawna Thanks, Tammy! I think you'll enjoy it.

Wow, gotta love those clearance specials!

I forgot to mention in my review about the deceiving cover that makes it seem more like a western contemporary romance that takes place on a ranch or something. There's no horses in the story whatsoever, so the cover doesn't make much sense.

Mitzi I love your review!!! I was thrilled to find out that one of my favorite erotic novelists (Lacey Alexander) is AKA Toni Blake and I've enjoyed all of her books (warm and hot) tremendously!!! She is a very talented author and on my auto-buy list!!!

Shawna Thanks, Mitzi! I've only read one of her books as Lacey Alexander, Seven Nights of Sin, and it was definitely hot!

message 13: by Ragus (new) - added it

Ragus Excellent review, Shawna!! I still have Sugar Creek on my TBR which both you and Auntee LOVED! Guess I'm adding this one to the list. It sounds like it has all the elements of the kind of book I like!! :D

Shawna Thanks, Ragus! :)