Brooke Cheyenne's Reviews > Karma

Karma by Cathy Ostlere

liked it

Thought this book would be a quick read. Its quick if you can keep up with it and not lose interest. I lost interest multiple times and therefore it took me 2 weeks to read.

I had to read this book for white pine and at first found it to be very interesting. It follows a hindu/seik girl named Maya whose father brings her to india to say goodbye to her mother's ashes. During their stay, all hell breaks lose in India and Maya is separated from her dad and fostered by a family who is very strict and wary of her as she refuses to speak. A boy in the family falls in love with her and helps her find her dad.

As normal as this story line seems, I was confused about 80 % of the time. The book uses waaay too much hindu terminology and even though I got a 97 percent in world religions in grade 11, i was still lost. There were random names and story lines that kept popping out of the blue; leaving you confused if you chose to ever skim a page or two.

Note to readers: if you like skimming books... this is not the book for you. you will be so LOST!

I also did not like how the book is a diary through Maya's point of view.. all of a sudden changing to the diary entires of Sandeep - the boy who fals in love with Maya. It felt as if I was reading a diary entry from Katniss from The Hunger Games, only to have the story line suddenly turn into a narrative from a poor boy in district 12. It made no sense! and took me awhile to get used to it. As soon as I was used to it - the narrator flipped back to maya!

This book is interesting if you like indian culture. I dont find religions all that interesting and had real trouble continuing with this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Karma.

February 5, 2013 – Started Reading