Alicia's Reviews > Parallel

Parallel by Lauren   Miller

bookshelves: young-adult, science-fiction, romance, own-kindle-edelweiss, standalone

Parallel blew my mind.

I went into this book thinking it would be young adult science fiction, which is a genre I love. It was. But it was also a romance novel that was both heart-breaking and heart-mending. I stayed up all night to finish this book because I had to know that Abby would find her soulmate in the end.

The primary complication to Abby's love life is the fact that her world collided with a parallel one a year ago. As a result, her present state is determined by choices her parallel self made in the past. Unfortunately, Abby suspects that her parallel self isn't exactly like her, so her parallel's choices don't always land Abby where she wants to be. She fears that one day she'll wake up and her love life will have been rewritten, and she'll be the only one who remembers how things are supposed to be. In the end, will she find her soulmate regardless of the path she's on?

It was 1:00 in the morning, and I was just about to put this book down after promising myself I would do so an hour earlier. Then this happened:

Yep, Parallel ripped my heart out and crushed it. So I had to keep reading until I finished the book, fighting with myself not to flip to the end to make sure everything was going to be okay.

Luckily, at the the conclusion, I was here:

Otherwise . . . well, let's just say I had a plan to hunt down and harass author Lauren Miller until she rewrote the ending. Lucky for her, I was more than satisfied.

I don't think all readers will enjoy the science babble explaining the entanglement of two parallel worlds. Personally, I thought this was a pretty cool aspect of the book. But even those who get a giant headache from the science babble can still enjoy the intensity of feelings that Abby has for her boyfriend—and that Abby's parallel has for her boyfriend.

The one thing I didn't absolutely love love love about Parallel is that I think I found a small glitch in the rubber science. If Abby and everyone in her world are getting the memories of their parallels, as theorized, then their parallels shouldn't be able to affect their physical properties. Abby shouldn't have scars from her parallel's injuries, and she shouldn't be in Connecticut just because her parallel went there instead of moving to California. This little glitch bothered me a bit. But you know what, Parallel? I still love you.

Most of my favorite books are action-heavy fantasy and science fiction novels. Parallel is now added to my favorites as one of the few romance novels I absolutely adored. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to young adult science fiction readers who like romance, as well as to contemporary romance readers. Just be prepared to put your heart on the line.

Thanks to HarperCollins for the free ARC of this title, provided through Edelweiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parallel.

February 5, 2013 – Shelved
February 5, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 5, 2013 – Shelved as: science-fiction
March 3, 2013 – Started Reading
March 3, 2013 –
13.0% "The narrator's voice is fun, but this book is going to lose me unless something interesting happens soon. A fun narrator alone can only hold my interest for so long."
March 4, 2013 –
19.0% "Okay, Parallel, you've got me. Parallel worlds colliding, and our protagonist is in the wrong one. I'm intrigued. Good job!"
March 5, 2013 –
39.0% "I had a hard time putting this down last night!"
March 6, 2013 –
March 6, 2013 –
78.0% "Well now I'm just depressed! Gosh dang freaking book. x-("
March 7, 2013 –
100.0% "I stayed up all night finishing this book. I didn't plan too, but I kept needing to read just 5% more.\n \n Then it broke my heart at 78%. So I had to keep reading until it was mended again."
March 7, 2013 – Shelved as: romance
March 7, 2013 – Finished Reading
June 6, 2013 – Shelved as: own-kindle-edelweiss
November 16, 2019 – Shelved as: standalone

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Joy (new) - added it

Joy H Wow, ok I'm adding this to my to-read list. That damn list keeps getting longer and longer. I need a parallel timeline devoted only to reading cool stuff just to keep up.

Alicia Joy wrote: "I need a parallel timeline devoted only to reading cool stuff just to keep up."

That would rock!