Jane Stewart's Reviews > Dead of Eve

Dead of Eve by Pam Godwin

bookshelves: apocalyptic-paranormal-sci-fi, 4-plus-star-other

4 ½ stars. Excellent suspense throughout the book. Kept me awake at night. Good writing! It’s apocalyptic sci fi.

Emotionally engaging. I didn’t want to stop reading. It reminded me of Stephen King stories: good story, creative characters, violence, some good people die. It also felt part Star Wars: lots of fight scenes and being in the belly of the beast. There are some loving relationships. They support the plot in an interesting way. I liked the idea of Evie using something from men.

Story Brief:
A virus causes humans to turn into insect-like creatures. It causes most women to die. The result is maybe 10 to 15% of the human race left alive. Evie seems to be the only female alive. Huge numbers of insect creatures now roam the earth killing humans.

The Series:
This is first in a trilogy. I was pleased with the ending. It felt good. Good guys survive and have more knowledge. Bad guys and insect creatures still exist which feed into the sequel, but not in a frustrating cliffhanger way. Books 2 and 3 are Blood of Eve and Dawn of Eve.

I liked that there were no artificial cliffhangers at the ends of chapters. Instead suspense builds naturally through the story. It was good suspense. And the author did NOT use artificial devices to create suspense (like a character only saying part of what they mean, so the reader has to wait to know the rest, something that frustrated me recently in other books). This was well done.

Heroine Stupidity:
Sadly there was one instance of heroine stupidity that hurt the book for me. It was a crisis fight scene. A huge number of the enemy is attacking. Evie is able to do something to fight the enemy and protect herself and her group. She is in a protected spot. Then she hears a victim scream, stops doing what she is doing, leaves her protected spot, and gets grabbed by the bad guy. Why did the three strong men (next to her protecting her) not stop her?

Another Problem - Dialect & Foreign Words:
Roark is Irish. Many of his words are phonetically spelled Irish dialect. I did not understand what he was saying. I had to skip his words and guess. Example: “Wen’ be needing a car.” (Was this “when” or “we en” or “we and”? I figured out afterwards it was “won’t”.) I like what Sol Stein says in his book “Stein On Writing.” He cautions against odd spellings to show dialect which is “annoying to the reader. It takes extra effort to derive the meaning of words on the page; that effort deters full involvement in the experience of a story.” Regarding the use of foreign words Stein suggests “the occasional foreign word that would be understood in context.” My problem was too many foreign words used by Roark that I did not understand. For example: No foostering. Did ye manage without a posser? Ye redirected (them) before ye couped. I’d be ok if translations were put in parentheses or italics right after the foreign words. Or just use simpler Irish sounding words that I would understand like bonny girl and lass.

There is Violence, Sex, and Brutality.
There are rape scenes and sex scenes, but not with a lot of detail. They are briefly done. Sex scenes include self pleasuring and men with men sodomy.

Not a problem, but wanting more.
Jesse did important things behind the scenes. I would have liked seeing some of the things he did and how he was able to do them. The author would need to switch to third person for those parts. Many authors have successfully mixed first and third person. I would have loved having that. As it is, the entire book is first person Evie.

Chapter Introductions - I have mixed feelings.
At the beginning of each chapter there is a quote from a famous person. This is not a problem when reading the physical book, because I skipped most of them. But it would be irritating to me if listening to an audiobook because they interrupt the story. Audio listeners cannot skip them. On the other hand, after reading the book, I went back and looked at them. I loved the wide variety of sources. Just seeing the authors’ names elicited neat feelings: Helen Keller, Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, Emily Dickinson, Joseph Campbell, Joan of Arc, Bhagavad-Gita. I liked some of the thoughts. But I’d prefer them at the beginning of the book, or maybe a couple in the middle of the book, but not for every chapter.

DISCLOSURE:
I received a complimentary copy for review.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 1st person Evie. Story length: 428 pages. Swearing language: strong including religious swear words. Sexual language: strong. Number of sex scenes: about 10. Setting: current day various locations, mostly U.S. and Europe. Copyright: 2012. Genre: apocalyptic paranormal sci fi.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead of Eve.

Started Reading
February 5, 2013 – Shelved
February 5, 2013 – Shelved as: apocalyptic-paranormal-sci-fi
February 5, 2013 – Shelved as: 4-plus-star-other
February 5, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Pam (new) - added it

Pam Godwin "Now we're suckin' diesel. Ye appraisal is the dog's bollocks. A hunnerd percent it is." Whatever the hell that means, this review is great. In fact, it's better than great. The points made are dead on sound.

"Job's a good'un. Keep 'er lit." Thank you, Jane Stewart.

Jane Stewart I kinda understood that. LOL Thank you Pam.