D.R.'s Reviews > The Coach House

The Coach House by Florence Osmund

I insert an aspiring author's novel into my reading list each month. Being an undiscovered writer myself, I think everyone should do this. Having grown up in Illinois and intrigued by the book's description on Amazon, I selected Florence Osmund's novel The Coach House this month.

Set in the 40s, it's the story of Marie Marchetti, a young woman from Chicago. Never meeting her father, she loses her mother at a young age and is taken in by her neighbors while still in high school. Knowing little of her family history, she goes to college on trust fund from anonymous source.

Marie meets Richard following graduation, concurrent with her taking a job in the fashion retail industry. He wins her affection and they marry. Richard's business and those he associates with are held close to his vest, constantly worrying Marie. A bulk of the storyline is fixated on the mystery behind Richard's job and his apparent cover up of how and with whom he spends his time, trying to keep Marie in the dark while holding her affection.

It is obvious early to the reader Richard has ties to the mob. The author does insert twists and turns along the way to keep the pace moving, but I found myself screaming at Marie halfway through the book, "Drop him! He's in the mob! Get on with it, already."

The storyline is intriguing, the characters believable. You feel for Marie as she learns more about Richard and about herself. The author does a good job of mixing up the storyline by inserting flashback and sideline plots.

One minor criticism - I found the frequent use of music lyrics from the period, seemingly inserted to bring romantic relevance to most any situation, a little overused, detracting from the story.

I grade on a curve for new authors, as everyone should, but this is a good first novel by Florence Osmund. Check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coach House.

February 5, 2013 – Started Reading