Max Maxwell's Reviews > Walk Two Moons

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

1959519

did not like it
bookshelves: young-adult, 50-book-challenge-2009-failed-48
Recommended to Max by: It was required for an education class
Recommended for: I would sooner wish the plague on you

I shan't dignify this flaming turd with a review save the following: this is the worst young adult book I have ever encountered, and I have encountered my share. The dialogue thinks it is being playful, and it is actually being wooden; the story thinks it is being original, and it is predictable. The characters are more annoying than endearing for their idiosyncrasies. If it wasn't for the fact that I get resale when I sell books back to the university bookstore, I'd've peed on it and burned it immediately after finishing it.—have I made my point yet? Avoid it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walk Two Moons.

Started Reading
April 14, 2009 – Shelved
April 14, 2009 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 14, 2009 – Shelved as: 50-book-challenge-2009-failed-48
April 14, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Maddy *applauds*

message 2: by Cate (new) - added it

Cate True

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie If it's so horrible than why did it win a Newberry Medal? I sure would like to see you write a 276 page book get it published ( if you can make it that far without being turned down by every publishing co. In the world) Let's see you win the newberry because I'm pretty sure your no writer.

message 4: by Christie (new)

Christie Max, I see that you had to read this book for an education class. I hope you don't intend on becoming a teacher! I haven't even read this book, but I know that many young readers love it. While the book may have problems, to refer to it as a "flaming turd" is more troll-like than offering a real criticism. I have read a lot of books that my students love and that I don't think are truly well-written, but dissing the books in such a snarky way doesn't do much to encourage reading!

message 5: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks I hope you use better language when and if you become a teacher. Just because you did not like the book does not mean you have to post a review that reads like a guttersnipe.

message 6: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Olmstead Agree

Bowen,Rodriguez I do not like the book either

Janice Treat snow Some adults retain the ability to see the world through a young person's eyes, some can't. You were not blessed with that ability. I hope you're not a elementary/middle school teacher.

Christiana Max's review was written in 2009. I'd like to know if he were to re-read it, would he have the same hatred for it. Max has now (presumably) lived a lot of life since he first read the book wrote this review. Max?

message 10: by Manybooks (last edited Oct 30, 2018 10:48AM) (new)

Manybooks Christiana wrote: "Max's review was written in 2009. I'd like to know if he were to re-read it, would he have the same hatred for it. Max has now (presumably) lived a lot of life since he first read the book wrote th..."

I respect the reviewer not liking the book, but I do NOT respect the words he or she used to describe why the book was not pleasant.

message 11: by La Coccinelle (new)

La Coccinelle I barely remember anything about this book, other than the fact that I felt utterly betrayed by the ending. It's actually made me avoid the author's other books ever since.

Max's opinion may seem extreme, but I can recall a few books that I had to read for school that I wouldn't have minded peeing on. Unless Goodreads gives us the ability to rate something zero stars, we're going to have to express ourselves with unpleasant language in our reviews from time to time.

message 12: by Manybooks (last edited Oct 30, 2018 10:56AM) (new)

Manybooks La Coccinelle wrote: "I barely remember anything about this book, other than the fact that I felt utterly betrayed by the ending. It's actually made me avoid the author's other books ever since.

Max's opinion may seem ..."

I have had more than a few book that I have actively and utterly despised. However, since for nearly all of them, other readers have at times if not often had vastly different opinions to mine, I generally only feel comfortable saying that I did not enjoy the book in question (and pointing out the reasons as to why) without using off colour language or in any manner assuming that others should somehow need to have the same attitudes (as conversely, I I certainly have also had instances of being viciously verbally accosted simply because I enjoyed a given book and someone else has not). It is one thing to say that I have not liked a book, but it is quite a different story to be as crass as Max has chosen to be or to in any way assume that just because you hated a book, everyone should and vice versa.

message 13: by La Coccinelle (last edited Oct 30, 2018 11:12AM) (new)

La Coccinelle I didn't get that from his review at all. Aside from his recommendation to avoid the book, he's just stating his strongly held opinion. I'm not really bothered by his choice of language, especially since that's not the entirety of his review; he did state his thoughtful opinions on the dialogue, story, and characters (had he not, and simply called the book a "flaming turd" and threatened to pee on it, then the value of the review would be questionable).

In any case, Max hasn't been active on Goodreads since 2014. He's probably forgotten all about this review by now!