kim's Reviews > The Aviator's Wife

The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin

Feb 04, 2013

bookshelves: historical-fiction, fiction, women-s-fiction, 111-want

I picked this book up because I was attracted to the cover. Once I picked it up and saw it was about Anne and Charles Lindbergh, I was hooked.

I grew up in the city Charles named his historic plane after, and Lindbergh is pretty much still considered a hero around here. So I have to say, I was pretty disillusioned by the book’s treatment of him as tyrannical. Of course the story of the Lindbergh baby kidnapping was well known to me, but I was shocked to learn Charles had three other families! I was just as disillusioned to learn that Anne, too, had an affair! We never learned about THAT in school!

This book did what all good historical fiction does, and that is to inspire me to look up more about the subject and continue learning. From what I learned, the author for the most part worked with facts. However, she admits that the ‘emotional’ parts were from her imagination. At this risk of including some spoilers here, I have to observe that we really don’t know if Anne ever knew about the other families Charles had. The author believes she did. Anne’s daughter believes she did not. We also don’t know how tyrannical Charles really was towards Anne. One thing that bothered me, especially in the early parts of the book, was how Anne just ‘took’ the things Charles did, and did not stand up to him or voice her opinion because she was afraid to upset him. She left her children for extended times because she was afraid Charles might fly off and not return if she didn’t go along. Of course, this is a book of fiction, and we don’t really know if it happened this way. But to me, Anne came off as just as dishonest about who she was, hiding her true self from Charles, as she seems to accuse him of being towards her. I have to wonder if, had she had stood up to him from the beginning, insisting her choices and opinions hold as much weight as his in their decisions, whether things may have been different in their marriage.

From the historical aspect, one thing that really left an impression on me is how quickly the world changed after Charles made his flight across the ocean. While transcontinental flight is now an ordinary experience, it is hard to realize that Charles took his ‘impossible’ flight less than 100 years ago, and the whole airline industry sprung up in just a few years after that! As I read about Anne and Charles traveling to Europe in the 1930’s, it was amazing to realize that people could not just book the next flight and expect to be in another country the next day.

I really did enjoy this book and it made an impression on me. But in the end, I have to make a choice, much as Anne did in the book, about the Charles I choose to remember. For me, I choose to remember him as the hero who eased the world into flight as an everyday occurrance, rather than remembering him as a tragically flawed character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Aviator's Wife.

February 4, 2013 – Shelved