Mendi's Reviews > The Kitchen House

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
I really loved this book but think it was mostly due to the narrators. They did such a fantastic job of transporting me through time with this story. The narrators were Orlagh Cassidy and Bahni Turpin. I was just amazed that Orlagh was able to transition so effortlessly between multiple characters both female and male, young and old. Her work made the book for me!
The story was really good as well. It was advertised as being a story about two young women (an indentured Irish girl and a young African American slave) told from their perspective so I expected some balance. However the perspective of the story from the Irish girl, Lavinia, was much more detailed and so it was about 3/4 Lavinia's story to 1/4 of the slave Belle's story.
There were some great moments of joy and happiness for the characters along with some horrible and sad moments. It was hard to get through the many moments of helplessness that were part of this tale. I think many people today have no idea what it would be like to have to belong to someone and be unable to affect your own change in just simple ways. This was true for the slaves and also to Lavinia when she grew up and was married to a man in a situation where she had no real power. Lavinia was also sadly naive all the way through thinking that she could do things that were not within her control. To that end you could say that she saw the good in everyone.

I would recommend the story to anyone who enjoys historical novels and most especially if you are going to listen to it rather than read it. This one does not have all of the extra historical detail that would have been the cherry on top but it was a fun read for sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen House.