Shawna's Reviews > The Viscount Who Loved Me

The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn

bookshelves: historical-romance, author-julia-quinn, historical-romance-regency, aar-top-100-romances, series-bridgertons-rokesbys, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, hero-cad-rake-rogue‎-scoundrel, hero-alpha‎, married-couples-married-convenience, animals-matter, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, 2010-reads, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, favorites, favorite-romance-series, i-read-own-faves-keepers, hero-i-wanna-smack, heroine-plain-jane-uglyducklingswan, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, 5-stars, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, feel-good-read-pick-me-upper, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, hero-starchy-loosen-up-buttons-babe, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, hero-marriage-wife-hunting, heroine-hoyden, best-top-favorites, hh-phobia-disorder, 2018-reads, audiobook, audiobook-narrator-great-fabulous, format-audiobook, format-source-audible, hero-cocky-conceited-arrogant-ego, hero-disappointing-frustrating, i-read-audible, i-read-listened-to-audiobook, re-reads-books-i-read-more-than-1x, audiobook-narrator-rosalyn-landor
Recommended for: Fans of historical/regency romance & reformed rakes who fall for plain, spinster heroines
Read 2 times. Last read October 2, 2018 to October 3, 2018.

Re-read/listened to the audiobook version Oct'2018:

5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

The audiobook narrator was great, and it's still a 5-star read for me.

Original Review from Sept'2010:

5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Although I didn't enjoy this quite as much as The Duke and I, it's a heartwarming, funny, and charming romance with an amusing H/H. I really disliked Anthony in The Duke And I, and I thought he was an overbearing, judgmental jerk most of the time. So I wasn't sure how I'd feel about him in this, and although he acted like an indignant ass towards Kate for a large part of the story and was still bossy towards his siblings, I understood his motivations and actions better after learning more about his background.

Anthony's fierce need to fulfill his responsibilities, protect his family's future, and live up to his father's legacy is the driving force behind everything he does. He initially sees Kate's interference in his plan to marry her sister as an annoying obstacle that must be overcome, by any means necessary...even seduction! He's vowed to never fall in love, but when Anthony and Kate's animosity and rivalry results in powerful attraction and explosive passion, will they take an even greater chance and dare to risk their hearts? Or will his fears stemming from events in the past be too much for them to overcome?

I might not have cared very much for Anthony in the beginning, but I ended up falling for him nearly as hard as Kate did before it was over. The Viscount Who Loved Me is another sweet, engaging romance in the delightful Bridgertons series, and I'm looking forward to more, especially Colin's story in Romancing Mister Bridgerton. (I just wish they were a bit steamier!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Viscount Who Loved Me.

Quotes Shawna Liked

Julia Quinn
“Love's about finding the one person who makes your heart complete. Who makes you a better person than you ever dreamed you could be. Its about looking in the eyes of your wife and knowing all the way to your bones that she's simply the best person you've ever known.”

Julia Quinn
“You have to live each hour as if it's your last and each day as if you were immortal. - Kate Sheffield”

Julia Quinn
“I have to tell you it was the first time even after all these years of expecting my own death that i truly knew what it meant to die because with you gone there was nothing left for me to live for.”

April 13, 2009 – Shelved
page 1
September 6, 2010 – Shelved as: brothers-sisters-cousins-family
September 7, 2010 –
page 318
89.83% "Awww Anthony, Why you gotta go and leave her like that?!"
September 7, 2010 – Shelved as: enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract
October 3, 2018 – Shelved as: i-read-listened-to-audiobook
October 3, 2018 – Shelved as: re-reads-books-i-read-more-than-1x
October 3, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 5, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook-narrator-rosalyn-landor

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Shawna Yep, I loved it!

Adwina Ralston Cumberbatch this one made me LOL..^^

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I can't wait to read your review, Shawna! I really enjoyed this series.

Shawna I'm really enjoying this series, UM!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm so happy to hear it! I still have the last 2 books to read. After reading When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn and I had to take a break before I overheated. I was ***fanning myself*** in that book! LOL

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I wonder if I'm weird. I think Julia Quinn is a good author, but she doesn't do it for me. I've only read one Julia Quinn book I really connected to. That was To Sir Phillip With Love. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will find that zing with When He Was Wicked.

Rane Great Review Shawna!
Ah, such great memories of the Bridgertons...

Shawna UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I'm so happy to hear it! I still have the last 2 books to read. After reading When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn and I had to take a break before I overheated. I was ***fanning myself*** in tha..."

Does that mean they get steamier? 'Cause my only complaint is that they're a bit PG-ish. I'll look forward to that one then!

Shawna Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I wonder if I'm weird. I think Julia Quinn is a good author, but she doesn't do it for me. I've only read one Julia Quinn book I really connected to. That was To Sir Phillip With Love. I'm keepin..."

I thought so too after reading (and snoozing through) her Two Dukes of Wyndham series. I honestly couldn't fathom why JQ was so popular, and I wasn't sure if I'd ever read anything else by her after that. I'm so glad I did 'cause I'm really enjoying these Bridgertons so far.

Shawna Thanks, Rane! I can't wait for Colin's story! Isn't that your favorite?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Shawna, the thing about WHWW is that it's a much more emotionally gripping story. I remember when writing the review I struggled trying to figure out what it was about the book that felt more... compelling. For me, that book proved her true writing ability. It's much steamier than the others, true, but Michael is a more troubled, dark character, and the reasons are totally believable. I think you'll really enjoy it. It's my favorite of the series.

Shawna Sounds good to me, UM! I like when the stories are more emotional and deeper, so I think I'll enjoy WHWW.

Ronyell Awesome review Shawna!!! I loved Anthony also!!!

Shawna Thanks, Ronyell!

Ronyell Shawna wrote: "Thanks, Ronyell!"

You're welcome! :D