Jaime K's Reviews > The Sound and the Echoes

The Sound and the Echoes by Dew Pellucid

Feb 03, 2013

bookshelves: first-reads-won-books

I won this Proof copy in a Goodreads Giveaway. Because it's a proof copy, there are some typos but nothing glaring, and there were so few that they didn't detract from the story.

Every Sound has an Echo, for Echoes must originate with a Sound.
But sometimes Echoes can be muffled, can be killed, while the sound remains.

Such things happen in a world beneath our own, where for each person and animal born on Earth, there is an Echo born. And every time a Sound dies, the Echo is killed in the same exact way.

The Echo King is killed (although his Sound still lives), and Will - the Prince's Sound - is now sought-after by other Echoes for destruction. because if he dies, the Prince dies. And the King's brother can reign as a false king.

There is a lot of history of the Echoes that is thread in the novel at various times. It's a very quick YA read, but is rich with detail. There are illustrations before every chapter that add to the story. Pellucid shows an understanding of people and what we're willing to do fr those we love and feel close to - even at the cusp of 12 and 13.

A mystery must be solved.
The Law of Death must be overruled.
A treasure must be found.

And what I really enjoyed was that Hebrew is the key to all. I don't speak or read or know any Hebrew, but it was something fun and different. It always made me smile.

(view spoiler)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound and the Echoes.

February 3, 2013 – Started Reading