Kelly's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Kate Chopin

bookshelves: fiction, examined-lives, grand-opera, shes-quite-an-original-my-dear

-Warner, Lolly Willowes

This book is an early distillation of a particular kind of novel that was being written periodically throughout the early twentieth century. These novels are all variations on the same theme, but the basic outline is the same. This one will serve to give you a pretty good idea of the lot:

Edna Pontellier is the rather well-to-do wife of a New Orleans businessman with two children, a well-appointed home, servants and a clear, clearly fulfilled place in her particular social circle. Her husband is kind to her in many conventional ways: he spares no expense on the household, takes something of an interest in the raising of the children, buys her personal and lavish presents and summer holidays, seems to offer periodic compliments and is not at all jealous or possessive. He has his faults of course- he likes his routines to be how they are and he places great importance on his wife fulfilling her “feminine” role in the household and society- dealing with the servants, ensuring high quality dinners, ministering to his needs and generally putting him first when he is home, being constantly involved with children, paying the same morning calls to the same wives of business associates that she always has. None of these expectations is particularly out-of-line for her time and place, and indeed she has never had to bear some of the extra morally horrible but legally acceptable extra burdens other wives have to shoulder without questioning. Her husband is occasionally rude and out of temper, he sometimes spends his evening out with his friends and blames her unfairly for occurrences that are blown all out of proportion. But that's about it.

And yet, “It may all sound very petty to complain about, but I tell you that sort of thing settles down on one like a fine dust.”

Of course, as we know, this is not the real problem. The problem is with the underlying foundations of the Patriarchal System of Various Assumptions and Ground Rules. In this case, the System manifests in her husband’s casual assumption that she sees her “occupation” as he does, to live her life as a recommendation and added enticement to her husband’s business career, or even to further it. There’s a scene where he recommends that she accept and reject calling cards and invitations on the basis of whether each woman in question has a husband that will further his career. He expects to everything at home reflect his success out of the home, including the dinner he eats (which he seems to be more upset about on the basis that it does not suit his status than anything). He conceptualizes her private life as a “public” one (since she has no “public” one to add to his), bound by all the same accommodations and professional decisions that a person in a career might make. When she deviates from her conventionally feminine choices, he assumes she may need medical treatment.

Like the feminine version of Bartleby the Scrivener, the rebellion phase begins with “I would prefer not to,” and continues until she’s figured out she would simply prefer not to live most of her life at all. Then of course, she has to decide what to do next.

This is where a lot of the stories differ. In Lolly Willowes, perhaps the clearest parallel to this book, the book brings to the surface all the guilt and self-hatred that that “fine dust” can arouse in a woman used to a lifetime of its constraints. Lolly actually conceives herself to be a witch, *an actual servant of the devil*, because she finally chooses to live a life according to her desires, to ignore the claims and needs of the other people that she has spent her life tending thus far. This is encouraged by the fact that Lolly has never achieved that supposed “highest calling” for women: a husband and children. Thus, all she is supposed to have to offer is a life of selfless service to others that she is dependent on. Thus it makes sense for her to consider herself not only less than nothing, but actually actively evil for denying to further repay society what is seen as her only natural duty, given her lack of these highest blessings. All Passion Spent is another perhaps more mature parallel. In this iteration, Lady Slane actually has achieved the husband and children. What is more, they are grown and successful, with children of their own. Her husband was an eminent public servant and she fulfilled her “role” (just like Edna’s husband had requested) for all of her life. As Edna states clearly and expressively in The Awakening:

"at a very early period she had apprehended instinctively the dual life- that outward existence which conforms, the inward life which questions."

Lady Slane has maintained this and chosen not to tell anyone for decades upon decades of marriage, so much so that even her family forgot that she was an actual person rather than a precious object, of sorts, to be taken care of much as an heirloom might be. Her Bartleby moment comes through in a meeting deciding her future, where her children have almost forgotten that she is a participant in the conversation. She decides to live out her life, like Lolly, in a house of her own. In this case it is the house itself, rather than an imaginary relationship with the devil, that becomes Lady Slane’s rebellion. A quirky, falling apart house with a sympathetic caretaker, becomes, bafflingly to her family, of greater interest to her than her children and grandchildren.

The Enchanted April is a luxurious, loving and-all-too-temporary bath of the golden sunlight of the prime of this story. It’s presented as a fantasy of escape. The women involved take a house in Italy and spend charmed, perpetually-twilight-hour weeks of stillness, contemplation, repressed anger and joy escaping their obligations to their family, to their husbands or other men, their poses to the world and their need to repress their feelings. There is one woman, indeed, who sometimes barely seems to move at all, perpetually walking around with a suppressed, blissful smile on her face. There are men in the novel, but they enter what is clearly a world of women, enchanted indeed by their fantasies and repressed longings. Some women place more boundaries and limitations on letting themselves go than others, but the trend is there, and it is the opposite of what is found on the outside. Even this brief moment of suspension and stillness restores some of the women enough to go on, some couples leave transformed, more or less, and we fade out with quiet, with sheer quiet still the ultimate dream of nirvana.

Mrs. Dalloway provides a different, more kaleidoscopic perspective on the same theme, perhaps even a slightly more optimistic and loving one in its own way. Clarissa Dalloway actually finds a kind of fulfillment in her duties as a housewife, in her every day errands and domestic creations. The interesting change of perspective here is that it seems like Woolf’s attempt to understand how this can be the case when she herself is so unlike this, rather than having the perspective be explaining a “different” woman to a mass of people who understand and live her opposite. Clarissa Dalloway, like Edna, understands that split between the interior and exterior life and instinctively lives it out each day. She, like these other women, has desires beyond her household, but has found reasons not to fulfill them. She has found her own way of making her life her own- even with a husband that she seems to have not much connection to, with a former lover for whom she can still have strong feelings after all these years, and with an unsatisfying daughter who is decidedly not her double in any way. She’s able to make these obligations into a kind of mission and to see the tiny beauty in the every day things that she achieves, or at least to come to see it after a daily struggle with her whole situation that mirrors some of the feelings these other women have, even if she justifies it to herself and thinks through it differently. Her slightly more optimistic conclusion (in its way) about the business of fulfilling her role as a woman and what it can lead to, at its best, does not at all lessen the struggles and doubts and reflections that we see her go through. Her success in repressing them might make her stronger in some ways, but it doesn’t mean that she, like Lady Slane, has seemingly ceased to be a person in the eyes and become only outward show. She maintains her personhood throughout, which is triumph most of these ladies desire to achieve anyway.

Of course, the most obvious precursor to all this is the infamous Emma Bovary’s disastrous venture into speculation and dreams, due to her insatiable longing for something more, something higher to believe in than the calling she’s been given as a woman. Anna Karenina has its own piece to share as well, of course, in its way. But these headlong, rush-to-the-head statements, these explosions of joy and rage are screams in the night, almost in a category by themselves, one separate from the whispers, the candlelight dreams and embedded-in-the-everyday transformations that are the rest of these books. Those ladies seek to destroy, to smash, in a way, whereas these ladies seek to simply… exist in a different way. They want to find a way for themselves that is slightly different, not the expected, but not…publicly. These are still private individuals still interested in keeping their privacy and existing within most bounds. They are at most…. Slightly off, in the context of their day, or perhaps in the case of Clarissa Dalloway, not outwardly “off” at all. They are interested in delving into and acting on some specific and long cherished thoughts that are not necessarily radically out of the norm. It is the sort of “odd” that earns you sideways looks from your children and a “Well, I just never thought that you,” or “I just don’t know what you mean by…,” when you push them as to what exactly is wrong. It’s eccentricity, not revolutionary.

I think the better predecessors are the more-or-less coded versions of the narrative that we find in Villette and Jane Eyre, and a wistful, painful statement of it through Dorothea in Middlemarch. Charlotte’s versions of it are covered over with the Victorian balm of marriage, of course, in the end. But both Lucy and Jane are interested in the sort of honesty, the sort of “to thine own self be true” that leads so many of the other ladies above to question what it is that they want and why. Villette, especially, offers its audience an ending that is, at best, deeply ambiguous as to whether it is marriage itself (rather than the act of it) that sets Lucy free or not. Her husband will never be any sort of ideal, and the way that he speaks to her has what would politely be called bracing honesty for a virtue. With Jane, of course, while she allows marriage to be more of an ideal achieved for her, the ideal is not achieved until they can meet as both financial and intellectual equals with something both material and spiritual to bring to the marriage, to assure anyone judging them that Jane has something worthwhile to contribute. This echoes Edna’s abandonment of her home and everything her husband ever bought her, her fixation on her husband’s money as the thing that binds her and keeps her in servitude, the same way that Jane refused the finery Rochester offered for their first wedding.

Dorothea’s Saint Theresa is a more or less open presentation of a woman with more passion, intelligence and drive to achieve something than the bounds of her life will allow. Like Lolly, her dreams and thoughts of how to conceptualize these capacities inside of her are bounded by the perceptions and assumptions that are presented to her by society. Thus, she dreams of assisting a “Great Man,” of the sort of loving service that Lolly has been condemned to provide, if of a more intellectual sort. When women are encouraged to make ideals of men, to see them as the “superior sex,” those sorts of personalities that are inclined to want the best for themselves, to reach for all life has to offer, will take actions to see that they are a part of that. Her disillusionment is both expected and painful to read about. What is interesting about her is that she actually is a person who wants obligations to fulfill and to provide the sort of self-sacrificial service that women are demanded to provide. She’s begging for it- her problem is that the obligations given to her are not enough. In the end, she too finds happiness in the “better marriage,” that allows her more outlet to take on more obligations and be happy doing it. And yet, her end still leads to one of my favorite expressions of the reasons why feminism exists and is still so necessary:

“Many who knew her, thought it a pity that so substantive and rare a creature should have been absorbed into the life of another, and be only known in a certain circle as a wife and mother. But no one stated exactly what else that was in her power she ought rather to have done.”

It’s tossed in the middle of a paragraph in the midst of an epilogue that includes the entire main cast- coded, in its own way then and robbed of the end-of-book statement it should have enjoyed, but we still end on Saint Teresa, contemplating the great sacrifices that Dorothea was capable of, and questioning what more she might have achieved without these every day obligations pressing on her.

Thus Edna Pontellier had many eloquent sisters saying, painting, singing, and subliminally messaging all the shades of this message for decades before The Awakening gained a wide, or almost any, audience. But she was one of the ones who did it both first and openly (remember again that the Brontes and George Eliot did it in more coded ways, and that Madame Bovary was, after all French and a scandal for decades.) In 1899, while not banned, the book was widely rejected and shunned by the reading public. Libraries refused to carry it. It got mixed reviews, but even the good ones who shied away from prudish or “conventional” condemnation of morality and unorthodox gender roles chose the secondary criticism of those who find it distasteful but realize that to say so would make them look backwards of bourgeois: the condescending complaint that she could have chosen a loftier, better subject for her talents rather than “entering into the overworked field of sex-fiction,” as a writer for the Chicago Times Herald put it.

Of course I understand that in 1899 writing about women having any sort of sexual feeling or longing would have made this smut, automatically. But looking at the book from a modern reader’s point of view, I would be hard pressed to call this “sex fiction” of any kind. What I appreciate, and what I think other modern readers may appreciate about this particular iteration of the theme was how honest and free of…. devices, I guess would be the best word, that it was. There were minimal metaphors used to try to describe what she was trying to say, nor was the thing encased in the alternate, inner universe of thought. The book was almost… naïve, childlike, even sentimental about the way that it depicted Edna’s realization and actualization of her freedom. I thought that it was very earnest about trying to just… almost just record a series of moments that added up to Edna’s inability to deny what she had been feeling.

Therefore, like these other quiet, figuring-it-out- ladies above, we get to go from her smallest feeling of “oddness” and difference through to her growing desire to act on it. The first major stand-off starts from a desire that Edna has to sleep outside on a hammock on a warm evening, rather than come inside. It is a small thing that increasingly becomes important the harder her husband pushes her on it. Eventually, he joins her outside to smoke his cigar and pretend to anyone watching that this was a communal desire. Slowly, this crushes out any magic her rebellion has until she slowly slips inside. We see her little by little move from stand-offs to the simple refusal to do ever larger things, withdrawing herself by choice from her life, from every thing that does not matter in itself, but, when added up, constitutes the life that she has been living in its entire. I think that this method of doing it was quite powerful, since we get to see all the little things that prick her and needle her into, after years of repetition, making the huge change that she does.

Eventually, Edna has a frank conversation with one of her closest friends, trying to explain the essential difference between this woman’s priorities and her own. She finally tells her:

“I would give up the unessential; I would give up my money, I would give my life for my children; but I wouldn’t give myself. I can’t make it more clear; it’s only something which I am beginning to comprehend, which is revealing itself to me.”

The woman doesn’t understand, and says so, but the important part is that we see Edna trying to think through this and express her own new limits and boundaries and define them as different than others. Which is of course, as we saw above, the real work of becoming a person on your own, rather than an accessory, or someone acting out a defined role for themselves that does not require them to think out their own feelings or desires.

This was my favorite part about what Edna’s journey tries to show us. That, sexuality and all, one of the major essences of feminism is, as someone said, that women are people. All Edna is doing in this book is testing out her likes and dislikes, finding friends that she herself enjoys, finding an occupation that fulfills her, and rooting out those things from her life which she does not like or need.

I mean, that sounds like college to me. High school, college, my twenties. Edna is twenty-eight and has had really, none of that experience except brief infatuations, conquered quickly. She’s missed out on it all, and this is about her realizing that she has missed out on something. Which, as Chopin eloquently tells us, is more than most women of her class and status get the chance to realize, given the confines, expectations, obligations and, frankly, apparent rewards and the something-like-happiness endings that many are able to achieve, at least according to the script they’ve had since they were little girls:

“A certain light was beginning to dawn dimly within her- the light which, showing the way, forbids [her realization of why she was doing what she was doing]. At that early period it served but to bewilder her. It moved her to dreams, to thoughtfulness, to the shadowy anguish which had overcome her the midnight when she had abandoned herself to tears.

In short, Mrs. Pontellier was beginning to realize her position in the universe as a human being and to recognize her relations as an individual to the world within and about her. This may seem like a ponderous weight of wisdom to descend upon the soul of a young woman of twenty-eight- perhaps more wisdom than the Holy Ghost is usually vouchsafed to any woman.

But the beginning of things, of a world especially, is necessarily vague, tangled, chaotic, and exceedingly disturbing. How few of us ever emerge from such a beginning! How many souls perish in its tumult!”

Do you see what I mean by how straightforward it is?

(... continued in the comments).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.

April 13, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
February 1, 2014 – Finished Reading
February 12, 2014 – Shelved as: fiction
February 12, 2014 – Shelved as: examined-lives
February 12, 2014 – Shelved as: grand-opera
February 12, 2014 – Shelved as: shes-quite-an-original-my-dear

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

Taylor Hell yes.

Kelly I read your review, definitely pushed me over the edge to putting this on my list.

Taylor I read this for school, but have been wanting to re-read it, too. It's one of those books that I appreciated more and more as I ruminated/digested it.

message 4: by Kelly (last edited Feb 14, 2014 07:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly REVIEW CONTINUED:

Do you see what I mean by how straightforward it is? Naïve, even? It’ s so earnest it is almost cloying to read at times. And yet it’s so crystal clear and honestly stated that I have absolutely no desire to roll my eyes. It’s extraordinary, even, for a woman of her time and situation to express it in such a still-relatable and recognizable way. Chopin thought this through admirably. I respond to it in the same way that I respond to Tolstoy’s writing, head-in-his-hands and tearing out his hair because he honestly can’t solve the problem he has, so he’s just presenting his thought process on it as best he can.

“It moved her to dreams,” may become one of those phrases that haunts me.)

I didn’t quite understand why she needed to meet the end that she did. I suppose I do, in the abstract, but I didn’t think we had been building towards a train in this one. I thought that we had been building towards Great Mop, towards a house in Italy, a faded artist’s garret, a husband denying reality for as long as possible. I didn’t think her heroine was out of options. Whether her lover left her or not, even she seemed to realize what she was doing was not entirely about him.

The only explanation that Chopin offers is somewhat mystical, bound up with the myths and spirituality of women that we were to see revived in the ‘60s (perhaps another reason that explains this book’s discovery during that time period):

“The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clamoring, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in abysses of solitude; to lose itself in mazes of inward contemplation.

The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace.”

The only real peace I could make with the end was to think of it like the Enchanted April. A house in Italy, with swirling voices all silenced, after a struggle of passions, in your head. It is the escape hatch that is always offered when the pressure is too much. While I didn’t see the need to press the button to jettison in this particular book, perhaps that is also part of the point. You never know when the pressure building is too much for the woman in particular, and, in most cases, it is not considered by those around her. “Abysses of solitude…” sometimes it seems like one can never get enough of it. It is hard to judge those who overindulge, in the end.

This was a beautiful piece of work, that for all its plain, simple style, really snuck up on me and made itself memorable. It isn’t long- I recommend giving it a shot and seeing if it will do the same for you.

Jennifer (aka EM) Kelly, just a brilliant review - and one that has given me a new insight on an entire class of books (and characters) most of which, I have to be honest, I struggle to really understand and empathize with - and feel terribly guilty and like a bad feminist for it.

Couple of comments:
1) I find it interesting that you chose Mrs. Dalloway as illustrative, and not To The Lighthouse.
2) one of the most remarkable things for me about Villette's ending is not so much the marriage as the fact that what's-his-face [I'm sorry, I am SO BAD with character names] gave Lucy [except the ones I love beyond measure] the means to earn her own livelihood. This, to me, was the revolutionary, freeing, ultimately hopeful bit: 500₤ and a room of her own, right?
3) I didn’t quite understand why she needed to meet the end that she did. Neither did I! Until I read your review, (view spoiler)

Thank you SO MUCH for writing this beautiful, thought-provoking review.

Aubrey This is the best review I've ever read of this, Kelly. Thank you.

Kelly You absolutely should not feel like a "bad feminist" for failing to understand a certain kind of historic type of woman. It is hard to reach back across time and space sometimes, under any circumstances, "feminist" or not. I especially don't think you should feel bad since you are clearly still trying to understand and are open to hearing more perspectives on them. That's admirable, actually.

To respond to your comments:
1) That is an interesting point. I've read both, but all I can tell you is that Mrs. Dalloway is the one that came to my mind, without question. I think perhaps because To The Lighthouse offers a bit less... I suppose restless questioning, than Mrs. Dalloway does, of the housewife role. I think Mrs. Dalloway takes on the framework of the role itself as a subject, whereas Lighthouse is slightly more about the personality of Mrs. Ramsay and the family at large. Mrs. Dalloway keeps a slightly more fixed focus on her daily, domestic struggles than does Lighthouse which seems to have a slightly more... spiritual cast than I felt was suitable for this particular "everyday eccentric" rebellion set of ladies I was talking about. If that makes sense.
2) M. Paul. I agree with you that that is the strong implication of the ending, covered over with the balm of "love" to offer the sop to the convention that a woman can't be truly happy or fulfilled without a man showing that he wants her, without his love or fulfillment.
3) Thanks and yes- I think that it has a lot to do with just the feeling of the moment, that is- (view spoiler)

Thanks for your substantive comment! I really enjoy talking about these books with people who care about them like you do!

Kelly Cross-post, but thank you, Aubrey. This was really a worthwhile read, for sure. A lot going on for such a short novella.

message 9: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Fantastic review. I do need to finally read this. I enjoyed the comparisons with other books and characters very much. Great approach.

Kelly Thanks! Like I say- it's worth the read. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours and I think you'll get something out of it.

Warwick Stimulating essay!

message 12: by Kelly (last edited Feb 15, 2014 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly Thank you! This one stuck with me for longer than I thought it would.

s.penkevich Fantastic. I forgot how good this was, but you crack it open and extract the gold from within and give it the poetic service it deserves in order to share it with us all. Wonderful. Simply wonderful.

Kelly Thanks, Penk! I see that you gave it a lower star count than I did. Was that for enjoyment's sake or? I know some people find that there's not much to it.

It is slight, in itself, in some ways but I think that that is deceptive. There are definitely some radical statements in here for the time, they are just said in such quiet, I don't know... Nice ways that it is can be hard to see them, plus we've moved on from some of the insights here.

But still I think it deserves such credit for its seemingly organic honesty of experience and its fidelity to the small feelings that push forward change and rebellion.

s.penkevich Kelly wrote: "Thanks, Penk! I see that you gave it a lower star count than I did. Was that for enjoyment's sake or? I know some people find that there's not much to it.

It is slight, in itself, in some ways but..."

I really need to reread this one, my experience was high school senior year when I didn't want to like anything not written by Flannery O'Connor or Faulkner. But you really reminded me of a lot about it that really does shine.

Kelly Well thanks. And yeah I totally remember that worshipful time in high school- I was into Fitzgerald and the Brontes and Shakespeare and didn't want to hear about Hemingway or Faulkner. I'm slowly getting over the Hemingway thing (at least partially!) but still have yet to get over the Faulkner thing. What damage our poor obsessive high school reading selves can do! And poor readings in class sometimes. I remember a dismal read of To The Lighthouse that almost put me off Woolf, even, if you can believe it. Wasn't my teacher's fault, but yeah... Studying things through "lenses" can be dreary work.

message 17: by Ruby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ruby Ignoring those comments above, I just wanted to say that this is a wonderful review about a group of books that I really love, thank you!

Kelly Thank you, Ruby. I appreciate you taking the time to say that. Although the book itself didn't always captivate me, it left me with a lot to think about, so I don't regret reading it.

Destiny Nicole, you should know that I flagged your comment for (somewhat ironically, given the way you started commenting on this thread, reprimanding someone else for their language) for abuse. And I believe our interaction is now at an end.

Kelly I am not sure why she would engage with this sort of behavior. So this will be my third request for you to cease commenting. Nothing more to be gained here except another flagging. Thank you, please move along.

Kelly All right, flagged and blocked. That's enough of that.

message 21: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Full disclosure: I only picked up this book to read back in my teens because Kate Chopin and I share a birthday (and, shamefully, I had so much trouble reading 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, which was also written by an author born on the same day, that I was relieved to find a much slimmer volume in The Awakening.) I, too, distinctly recall enjoying the book till (view spoiler), which I felt was a total head-scratcher. In retrospect, I agree that it made sense for a certain type of woman in a certain period of time; as a teenager, though, I was just bewildered. (view spoiler)

In other news, I no longer get your review updates in my Goodreads e-mail, just a display of the books you've added since the last missive. That makes me sad, and I hope Goodreads changes that format soon, because I want to read all your reviews but am disappointed when I click on a book and it's just something you've added to a shelf. Stupid Goodreads leading me on like that :P.

Kelly See, Anna makes more sense to me, which probably says bad things about me. But we've had this fight before so I shall leave that particular argument alone! :)

Goodreads notifications are odd. I don't get notified if someone comments on a review, as I have understood it, from the main page of goodreads rather than clicking through to comment on the actual review. I sometimes get notified of profile comments and sometimes not. I will sometimes not get notified of the first comment on my review, but will be notified of the second one. It kinda depends on the mood GR is in.

And yeah, sorry, too much of my stuff is books added rather than reviews these days! I wish there were more! Thanks for the nice compliment of being interested.

Reilly This is such an excellent review; I wish I had read it before writing mine. I think this novel will be with me all summer, if not longer, and it's nice to see someone asking the same questions (of Edna, Chopin, and themselves).

Reilly After looking at some of your other books and reviews, I think you should add Willa Cather to your list! Particularly, based on your review here, I would suggest starting with "A Lost Lady", but "One of Ours" and "My Antonia" are good starts, too.

Kelly Thanks, Reilly! I appreciate the comment. The atmosphere of this book lingered for me as well. I wish I had read it when I was younger, I think it would have been even more powerful.

Also, I appreciate the Willa Cather recommendation. I've had her recommended to me a few times- I don't know what's keeping me away from her. The rec of "A Lost Lady" is interesting- most people point me towards My Antonia. I hadn't heard of that one before. Thanks!

Tristan Very nice review. I think its interesting that you thought the prose was simple; I didn't find it overblown, by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought it was lush and beautiful, not unlike the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Its straightforwardness was almost an afterthought to the power and magic of the metaphors and descriptions. Admittedly, the last novel I read before this was The Sun Also Rises, but I've been reading poetry in between, so I wouldn't think the contrast would make such a huge difference.

Kelly Yeah, after Hemingway I would imagine a lot of things would seem pretty Baroque. I will admit that there are some vaguely mystical turns here, and it does get a bit less straightforward towards the end as she gets closer to her end. But for the most part, I don't recall this being particularly strong on descriptive or atmospheric touches- especially not by comparison to any of the other novels I name here that came before or after.

What poetry did you read?

Tristan Mostly modern stuff: Learning Human: Selected Poems by Les Murray, Frieda Hughes' Waxworks: Poems, and David St. John's The Auroras: New Poems were all in that period around reading The Sun Also Rises. The last collection is probably the most heavy on description, but still nowhere near poetry of, say, the Romantics or work by someone like Mark Doty.

s.penkevich Outstanding review!

Kelly Thanks! This was more than worth reading, even though it's not my favorite of the type.