PurplyCookie's Reviews > Kazunomiya: Prisoner of Heaven, Japan, 1858

Kazunomiya by Kathryn Lasky

Apr 13, 2009

bookshelves: childrens-books, historical-fiction, book-series, biography-memoir, royalty
Read in February, 2009

"They can try and make me their puppet. They can blacken my teeth. They can change my birthday, but deep inside of me nothing will change. My real birthday will always be my birthday. So, you see, no matter how they cut me up to serve their purposes, within me there shall always remain a little spark, a small piece that is my essence and cannot be destroyed no matter what."

Kazunomiya, along with her royal family, is thought to be a divinity, descended from the goddess of the sun, and she lives an extremely sheltered life. But it is one in which she is a virtual prisoner, kept sheltered behind palace walls, only able to leave for the occasional visit to a temple or shrine. But her predictable life is changing.

Japan has kept itself isolated for generations, but now foreigners are clamoring to be allowed in, and given trading rights. Princess Kazunomiya finds her own future in question, when she learns that her betrothal to a prince she has known since childhood may be broken so that her half-brother, the Emperor, can make an alliance by marrying her off to the young man that will be the next shogun of Japan.

But the external threats do not compare to the tangled intrigue, romance, and politics that dominate the imperial palace, as wives and queens plot to destroy Princess Kazunomiya and her mother.

Book Details:

Title Kazunomiya: Prisoner of Heaven, Japan, 1858 (The Royal Diaries)
Author Kathryn Lasky
Reviewed By Purplycookie
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kazunomiya.

04/22 marked as: read

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Majenta! :)