Bob's Reviews > Mortal

Mortal by Ted Dekker

bookshelves: fantasy, christian

This is book 2 in a series, and I liked it better than book 1. There's much more action, and more intrigue. Let me say, by way of introduction, what it's not: it's not science fiction, though the jacket blurb sounds like it and it has a few elements. It's more like fantasy. It's also not much of a dystopian novel, although it has that as its background, it doesn't develop that much at all (not as much as the first book). This book, more so than Forbidden, is primarily a Christian allegory.

The Christian imagery is blatant: it's pretty close to a straight allegory. A non-Christian reading this would think the imagery and the direction of the book pretty odd, I think (probably even gross, with everything focusing on blood everywhere. At least in this book they're injecting it into their veins: they're not drinking it anymore). As a Christian, though, I appreciated the symbolism and thought it insightful. We're not talking allegory of the quality of Pilgrim's Progress or Lion, Witch and Wardrobe, but it was pretty good nonetheless. The characters are well-defined and the plot is interesting and complex. I would recommend the book: not as a must-read, life-changing book, but as moderately enjoyable and thought-provoking. I'll read #3 when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mortal.

February 2, 2013 – Started Reading