Bill's Reviews > All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World

All Marketers Are Liars by Seth Godin

M 50x66

I had low expectations for this book; however, it offered an interesting perspective amongst enjoyable anecdotes and examples. Seth Godin's thesis is that marketers must tell an authentic story that is congruent with a potential consumer's worldview; marketing merely based on price, quality, or features no longer has much effect. Consumers have evolved and are now savvy enough to deflect most if not all forms of traditional marketing. His assertion is that the way forward is to segment a population into different markets, generate stories which resonate in those areas, and tell those stories in an authentic, genuine manner.

The best example I remember from this book is how Tom's of Maine distinguished itself from other cosmetics. Before Tom's, consumers were not loyal to a particular brand of toothpaste and likely couldn't even remember the brand they were currently using. When Tom's entered the market, it evoked thoughts of buying a locally-produced, healthy, environmentally-friendly product. The style of packaging, the text written on the box, the color of the tube -- all of those characteristics support this story. Whether or not the toothpaste is any better, consumers can tell their friends "I buy Tom's toothpaste because ..." and feel good about their decision. Evoking those warm feelings ("I feel good about Tom's toothpaste because it doesn't expose my family to harsh chemicals") is the key to successful marketing as opposed to flatly stating the a product's advantages.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Marketers Are Liars.

Started Reading