Hallie's Reviews > The Truth About Forever

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

Apr 12, 2009

bookshelves: ya

My rather babbly, more-than-you-care-to-read-about-ME write up is here.

I don't think this is near the pinnacle of what great YA can be, but every one of Sarah Dessen's books I've read has had at least one thing that really grabbed me somehow, and this one grabbed me most on a personal level. (I may put off reading new ones for a while, until/unless I hear that she's broken out of the pattern of all her previous books, which has become more than a bit too familiar at this point.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth About Forever.

Started Reading
June 14, 2008 – Finished Reading
April 12, 2009 – Shelved
April 12, 2009 – Shelved as: ya

Beth I really liked this one, too. I wasn't a fan of any of the newer books, though I did read The Moon and More recently. I'd say it's not quite as formulaic, but it also didn't work for me.

And I think the reason for her success is because she manages to grab people on a personal level! I like that her books aren't necessarily consumed with tragedy or angst but are about everyday living. I like that a lot.

Hallie Beth wrote: "I really liked this one, too. I wasn't a fan of any of the newer books, though I did read The Moon and More recently. I'd say it's not quite as formulaic, but it also didn't work for me."

Yeah, I agree about The Moon and More. I liked that it looked at social class in a very interesting setting (or at least I find it very interesting!) but it didn't seem right about either the protag's mother's OR father's social groups.

I also agree about the reason so many people keep reading her. It was a little depressing seeing how long ago I'd said I'd probably stop unless they became less formulaic, but then even the ones I don't much like usually have *something* that seems just right - and often very well-written in getting it across. Which is a lot, really!