Beverly Diehl's Reviews > The Heir

The Heir by Grace Burrowes

5641908
Feb 01, 2013

bookshelves: family, historical-fiction, romance

What I liked about this book, and about Burrowes’ series, is that generally a romance is told from the POV of the heroine. This book, and the two that follow, while they do shift into heroine’s POV, are really a book about the hero falling in love.

Gayle (plus a lot of other names) Windham, was not the firstborn son of the Duke and Duchess of Morelands. Nor the second son. But due to the deaths of his two older brothers, the Earl of Westhaven is, in fact, The Heir.

The top three things I loved about this novel are:
• The sizzling chemistry between Westhaven and Anna
• The playful banter among all the characters
• The involvement of family in the romance. Too often when I read a romance, both characters are virtual orphans. In real life, family gets involved. Whether they are invited in, or insert themselves, they are present.

The top three things I disliked about this novel are:
• A bit too much marzipan. Wondering if the author intends to kill off Gayle via diabetes overload at some point in the future.
• Not quite enough tension in the first third, compared to the drama and action in this final third.
• The heroine both becomes pregnant too easily, and does not realize that she is pregnant. This seems to be a theme that recurs in the romance genre, and IMO, I’m bored with it.

Overall, I very much enjoyed this book, and ll think most readers will as well, even those who don’t normally read Regency Romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heir.

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria I am so with you on the pregnancy issue. Really? The heroine hasn't had her menses for three months and she's just now realizing that it's been twelve weeks since she last had her period?

Yes, I understand that sex wasn't as openly discussed as it is now, but these women have sex and don't seem to understand at all what might happen. I know that there are still women around who get pregnant and don't know it, but over and over and over seemingly bright women of the early 19th century end up pregnant with no idea how that happened or that it would happen. Argh!

Beverly Diehl Maria wrote: "I am so with you on the pregnancy issue. Really? " I "get" that, for the purposes of plot, there are pregnancies of convenience, as it were. Unlike real life, they happen just at the right (or wrong) time.

There's a lot of things we as readers need to accept that stretch credulity, but unlike The White Queen, there are only so many impossible things I can believe before breakfast.

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria Yes, but why must the heroines be that blindingly stupid over and over, even the bluestockings. I'll stretch my credulity but after a certain point I just want to ask the editors, "Again?"

I believe many impossible things before breakfast, but after I eat, I require a level of reality. {wink}