Thorsten's Reviews > The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win

The Phoenix Project by Gene Kim

Feb 01, 2013

bookshelves: engineering, fiction, sysadmin, tech, theory

to be honest, I'm a bit embarrassed how much i enjoyed this book! It's basically a business/IT management book thinly disguised as a novel, but i must say it's very well done. It's such niche subject matter that i'm not sure anyone outside of an IT Ops role would appreciate it, but i genuinely learned a lot about how IT needs to integrate within business goals to actually achieve anything, that it doesn't exist in a vacuum, and if it does, then something is seriously out of wack. It preaches good principles, basically the silver bullet of Continuous Deployment and what value that brings to the dev cycle. I believe from what I've read that it's basically a rewrite of 'The Goal' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goa... - which is "widely used in leading colleges of management to teach students about the importance of strategic capacity planning and constraint management." but with a DevOps spin on it.

Its definitely a tech book but eschews any one technology, to focus on the underlying principles.

I'm curious to see what others make of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phoenix Project.

Started Reading