Arlene's Reviews > Helen of Troy

Helen of Troy by Margaret George

Apr 10, 2009

bookshelves: read-2009, favorites, greek-mythology
Read in August, 2009

As an avid reader, it's not very often that you come across a book that immediately finds a spot on the top shelf of your bookcase. Well, Helen of Troy has earned that right, without a doubt. This book is sheer perfection in so many ways a simple review cannot express.

The author did a beautiful job of telling the story of Helen of Sparta, later Helen of Troy from a perspective which seamlessly submerges you into the Trojan War. She weaved in all the right characters, events and emotions and wrapped it up perfectly with a carefully chosen point of view and back drop. I could not put this book down! Now keep in mind, it is a very complex read, and it may take time to finish the book. I normally finish a book of this size within a few days, but Helen of Troy took me twice as long, and I feel it was undoubtedly time well spent.

Now to the story... Helen of Troy was rumored to have launched a thousand ships because of her sheer beauty. She was acclaimed to be responsible for the downfall of Troy and the loss of many Greek and Trojan lives. This story takes you back in time where the people of Troy and Sparta, as well as the surrounding kingdoms believed in their fate as provided by the gods. Helen's fate was one that brought suffering to herself and everyone around her. In this story, you learn about Helen's life as a young girl, her marriage to Menelaus, the birth of her daughter Hermione and ultimately her encounter with Paris the Prince of Troy, which eventually led to an inevidable love and the down fall of Troy.

This book was filled with poetic moments of innocence and beauty, as the story is beautifully told through the POV of Helen. IMO it's an exquisite page turner filled with characters you can't get enough of either because you love or hate them, including Helen, Paris, Hermione, Menelaus, Hector, Andromache, Priam, Achilles, Agamemnon, Odysseus, and many, many more. This story brings to life the Trojan War in a manner you won't soon forget. What a great read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helen of Troy.

02/07/2016 marked as: read

Heather I'm so glad that you liked it! So tell me, what did you think of the ending? :)

Arlene Liked it? More like, I loved it! :) The ending was perfect. She returned to where she truly belonged and he was waiting for her there. This was such a great story! Thank you so much for rec'ing it.

Heather You're welcome. I cried at the end...

"Don't open your eyes" SQUEEE! lol

message 4: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy adding this to my "to read" pile!!!!

Arlene Kristy, I loved, LOVED this book, but keep in mind, it's a very complex read. I made slow progress with it, but when I was done I was on the verge of tears and my heart was left in angst. Probably one of the more difficult reads I accomplished in 2009. It took my YA brain some getting used to. :)

message 6: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy I'm having YA brain right now with "The life of Pi"... It's hard to just flip that switch!

Arlene Sure is! I hope you like The Life of Pi, yet another book I have waiting for its turn on my bookshelf.