Renee's Reviews > Still Alice

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

bookshelves: read-2013, favourites, audiobooks, read-2019
Read 4 times. Last read February 22, 2019 to March 13, 2019.

I loved this book. The story is told from the perspective of Alice, an academic woman who is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's Disease. This story gives insight into what it is like for the person who has Alzheimer's. The writing style drew me in and caught me up emotionally. It is a story that has stayed with me long after I finished reading and one I have personally recommended to many of my friends.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Alice.

Quotes Renee Liked

Lisa Genova
“She liked being reminded of butterflies. She remembered being six or seven and crying over the fates of the butterflies in her yard after learning that they lived for only a few days. Her mother had comforted her and told her not to be sad for the butterflies, that just because their lives were short didn't mean they were tragic. Watching them flying in the warm sun among the daisies in their garden, her mother had said to her, see, they have a beautiful life. Alice liked remembering that.”
Lisa Genova, Still Alice

Lisa Genova
“And I have no control over which yesterdays I keep and which ones get deleted. This disease will not be bargained with. I can't offer it the names of the US presidents in exchange for the names of my children. I can't give it the names of state capitals and keep the memories of my husband.
...My yesterdays are disappearing, and my tomorrows are uncertain, so what do I live for? I live for each day. I live in the moment. Some tomorrow soon, I'll forget that I stood before you and gave this speech. But just because I'll forget it some tomorrow doesn't mean that I didn't live every second of it today. I will forget today, but that doesn't mean that today doesn't matter.”
Lisa Genova, Still Alice

Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
January 31, 2013 – Shelved
Started Reading
August 17, 2013 – Finished Reading
November 22, 2013 – Shelved as: read-2013
December 15, 2014 – Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
December 15, 2014 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
December 17, 2014 – Shelved as: arc (Other Paperback Edition)
December 17, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014 (Other Paperback Edition)
December 18, 2014 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
December 31, 2014 – Shelved as: favourites
December 31, 2014 – Shelved as: favourites (Other Paperback Edition)
February 22, 2019 – Started Reading
February 22, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobooks
February 22, 2019 –
10.0% "Re-reading for book club
Listening to the audiobook this time
Straight read narration by the author"
March 13, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019