Noel's Reviews > Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World

Tales of a Female Nomad by Rita Golden Gelman

Apr 10, 2009

Read in October, 2008

I am a person who loves to travel and I've done my share of traveling -- I'm still jealous. To be able to get up and go, to leave your known world for a bit of the unknown, seems like a luxury that most of can't afford - either because of financial issues, or lack of time, or the responsibilities of real life that bind us to our homes. What I liked about this memoir was Rita's personal journey. Her first trip was to close-by Mexico and, yes, she did go to live in a village, but the Mexican culture is very close to Californians and not too exotic. She had her misgivings, hated eating alone in a restaurant but overcame the challenges, toughed it out and stuck with it. My hat goes off to her for that.

I did find, however, that she never really explored why she felt the need to be away from her real family and substitute it with other family. When she lived in Bali and her mother was dying, it almost seemed as though she felt a deeper loss over the death of Tu Aji, than that of her mother and father. Why? Perhaps she doesn't even know herself, but it did strike me as odd that she would replace her need for friendship, comraderie and ultimately love, with perfect strangers and not with her more immediate family.

In any case, an amazing travel book. Thanks wingedman for thinking of me - I'll try to pass it on to another bxer who travels vicariously through books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales of a Female Nomad.