Noel's Reviews > The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific

The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost

Apr 10, 2009

bookshelves: book-ring, non-fiction, released-through-bookcrossing

This is the kind of book that as I was reading, and laughing out loud, I just had to share with everyone around me. I read passages to my husband, told bits and pieces to my kids and just plain enjoyed the book start to finish. It was a quick and easy read - but beneath the surface - and without being preachy - there were many international issues discussed.

Sylvia and her boyfriend Maarten agree to go to the remote atoll country of Karibati pretty much in the middle of nowhere in the Equatorial Pacific. Dreams of lazy days, beautiful sunsets and an idyllic island paradise give way to the reality of sewage issues, lack of water, intermittent electricity
and every class of critter and parasite under the sun! Their living conditions go from deplorable to tolerable to actually quite livable and in that ensuing time frame of two years Maarten is able to get through the roughest of times through the use of humor.

I liked this so much I've turned it into a bookring!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sex Lives of Cannibals.