Gbeab's Reviews > Felicia's Journey

Felicia's Journey by William Trevor

Aug 28, 2007

Read in September, 2007

I am absorbed at last in Chapter 18 where it's clear what has wrung poor Hilditch out to dry his whole life. The most moving and close portrait of him resides in Chapter 18, especially pages 147-48 in the edition (pictured) I am reading. Felicia is not painted or portrayed near as close as Hilditch and it makes me wonder how her journey isn't his. What am I missing in this construction, to title a book as though to attribute the journey to the lead named character, yet to follow into the blood this 'other', this Hilditch?

I do like the distractedness shown through streams of c. I do. His are more explicit and pained and joyous, I suppose because her journey is simply to ... (won't give it away, I won't!). Seems any woman who has experienced such a journey might know there's nothing obvious about such a trip that nothing internal, nothing of her psychological way, is or would (not) be written. I believe that's what I mean to say.

Following completing the book I must admit I won't read the conclusion. I won't because I love where the book ends before. Just makes sense to me. The writing from Chapter 18 on is the best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Felicia's Journey.