Rossrn Nunamaker's Reviews > White Shark

Apr 10, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, suspense
Read in April, 2009

White Shark is the first book I read by Peter Benchley. Jaws remains one of my all-time favorite movies, and as I randomly searched shelves at the library I came across Benchley and decided to give this a go.

I liked the main character, Simon Chase, and the idea of his having his own island as an institute. I thought his son at age twelve was a bit grown up for his age, but it wasn't anything I couldn't get over within the context of the story.

The story itself is a bit out there. Nazi scientists create a secret weapon which is really a mutated human. The weapon is lost when a submarine escaping Germany at the end of the war sinks in a trench in the Atlantic. It is found and the casing holding the weapon is put aboard a ship. The photographer who found it tries to steal a peak before the ship docks and he disappears along with the case and weapon.

From that point forward animals on land and sea as well as people begin to go missing and Chase, as resident expert, finds himself on a quest to find this creature.

One interesting angle is the 'evolution' of the creature from water to land, along with its 'learning'.

All in all a fun, quick read, but not anything to get overly excited about. Unlike jaws, I wouldn't be afraid to go into the water because this was obviously all fiction.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Shark.