Jessica's Reviews > The Fall of Arthur

The Fall of Arthur by J.R.R. Tolkien

202724

bookshelves: own, poetry, nonfiction

Not to make you jealous or anything, but I bought this at the Bodleian Library gift shop after going through the Tolkien art exhibit. I had no idea what it was, except that it was recently published, and was touted as the only time he "took on" the Arthurian legend. I am not at all disappointed in this purchase, just as I am not disappointed in the bookmark, bracelet, and print I also purchased . . . but that's another story!

The first sixty pages or so are the poem, written in Saxon alliterative style, of the last days of Arthur. After there, son Christopher takes over and talks about the different drafts, where the ending might have headed, what the sources were, and so forth. Fascinating stuff, whether you're into Tolkien, poetry, Old English, King Arthur . . . there's really a lot going on for all kinds of people. I thought the little moments of Christopher's frustration (with his father quitting the poem, with his father's handwriting) were quite great. But what I really liked was the appendix, largely taken from one of Tolkien Senior's own lectures about Anglo Saxon poetry. That was truly fascinating stuff, and I had no idea about any of it. (And I say this as someone who has read the Norse sagas in the original language.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of Arthur.

January 30, 2013 – Shelved