Wendy's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Apr 10, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, austen, fiction, parody, regency, romance
Recommended to Wendy by: enjae
Recommended for: Fans of P&P and SOTD

** spoiler alert ** When this book hit the hit lists, I wasn't quite sure what to think. Pride and Prejudice is, after all, my favourite book, and I don't always take kindly to parodies thereon (I'm looking at you, Pride and Promiscuity. However, having recently enjoyed television's "Lost in Austen", and remembering fondly the film Sean of the Dead, and following a recommendation from a friend who knows and understands my love of the original, I plunged in.

Oh, what fun this book was! It's the classic Regency romance, in Jane Austen's glorious original prose, with an adroitly added dimension of the occult. The author's affection for and familiarity with the original shines through, even while he combines it with his knowledge and expertise about martial arts and weapons and fifty-five years of embattlement with an endless supply of zombies.

Apart from the writing, and the sharpened dialogue, there are dozens of small details that will wring gleeful chuckles from a Pride and Prejudice fan. The fates of such as Charlotte Lucas, Mr. Collins, and Mr. Wickham, for instance. The occasional reference to balls. Zombie traps baited with brain-like cauliflower. Lady Catherine's ninjas, and the new and inventive ways she finds to insult Lizzy's honour. The list goes on.

To add to the hilarity, there is a "Readers Discussion Guide" at the end of the book. It's a bit spoilery, so don't look at it until you've finished the book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

April 10, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
April 12, 2009 –
page 214
66.88% "So far, my abs are aching from laughing so much, and people's heads turn to see what the funny noise is."
April 12, 2009 – Finished Reading