Jessica Alcazar's Reviews > The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley

Jan 30, 2013

bookshelves: ashley-jennifer, reviewed-amazon, favorites, kindle-library, 2013-favorite
Recommended to Jessica by: Juliet

HOLY CRAP where has this woman been hiding?!?!?!?!?!

When I first investigated about the book, I just assumed that Ian's madness would be just that, madness. Like not following conventional duties from back in that day and what not. Well wasn't I pleasantly surprised. He's on the Spectrum and in today's society would probably be diagnosed specifically with Asperger's Syndrome. My niece was diagnosed with Autism at the early age of 6 months. Her developmental delay stems mainly from 2 birth defects so therefor she did not develop Autism like most children do at 3-5 years old so that makes her A-typical. Autism has been our world for the last decade and it will remain our world for the rest of our lives. SO I KNOW Autism and it's many quirks! And this book was written spot on! Jennifer Ashley did a phenomenal job with Ian's character development and mainly concentrating on Beth's eyes as her physical development/description for us as readers was genius. You see, eye contact is extremely difficult for Autistic people. They see the world in bits and pieces and almost never as a whole. If you put a piece of swiss cheese in front of you and look thru it, you will understand what an Autistic person sees. They see parts, almost never wholes. Well, enough about Autism itself and on to the book because I could go on for HOURS on the subject!
I loved the family from page one. All of them, extended and immediate. I never saw coming the plot twist at the end. I assumed it would be something more along the lines of one of the brothers either 'stealing' his girl (i say he because I don't want to give anything specific away) or maybe doing something with a sister he might have. Boy was I surprised! But pleasantly actually!
I look forward to reading every one of their stories immediately! LOL

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Jennifer Ashley
“Ian closed his eyes. Beth watched emotions flicker across his face, the uncertainty, the stubbornness, the raw pain he’d lived with for so long. He didn’t always know how to express his emotions, but that didn’t mean he didn’t feel them deeply.
When Ian slowly opened his eyes, he guided his gaze directly to Beth’s. His golden eyes shimmered and sparkled, pupils ringed with green. He held her gaze steadily, not blinking, or shifting away.
“I love you,” he said.
Beth caught her breath, and sudden tears blurred her vision.
“Love you,” Ian repeated. His gaze bore into hers harder than Hart’s ever could hope to. “Love you, love you, love you, love you, love you, love you…”
Jennifer Ashley, The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie

Juliet I'm so glad you loved this too. :) I haven't been able to read barely at all lately because of work and I was moving, blah blah, but I saw your updates and message. Hurray! Aren't Jennifer Ashley and the Mackenzies amazing?