♆ BookAddict ✒ La Crimson Femme's Reviews > My Wicked Valentine

My Wicked Valentine by Ann Mayburn

bookshelves: bdsm, bdsm-book-reviews, glitterkink
Recommended for: New to BDSM

Combine a hot Latina lover with a suave sexual deviant and it will spark into sweet kinky sex. Ms. Mayburn kicks off another erotic trilogy with fun characters and a stroll through a BDSM playground. Lucia Roa is a determined entrepreneur starting out her party planning business. In the Washington DC area, this means she needs to meet the mover and shakers. Through a referral, she’s applying to be the party planner for an exclusive club’s Valentine Day party.

Issac O’Keefe is one of the elite. He is determined to be on the board of Wicked. Wicked is an exclusive BDSM members by invite only club. He wants to impress the powers that be with a memorable kinky fest no one will soon forget and this party will make the difference in his favour. He doesn’t think Lucia can handle it because the only parties in her portfolio are for children’s birthdays.

This set up is just right with a delish blend of realistic and fantasy elements. I categorize this as GlitterKink because it does contain several rich Dom/mes and a private BDSM club. If this club existed, lowly me could only dream about getting into the club. This aside, the BDSM showcased is light and just right for those just starting in their kinky book journey. Ms. Mayburn does an excellent job of building the fantasy yet staying true to BDSM elements. Just because the average person can’t afford all these luscious tools and equipment doesn’t mean it isn’t feasible.

The conflict in this story is all too real with backstabbing blackmail. Sexual deviance is still quite the taboo in this day and age. It could ruin a person’s reputation as well as destroy their career. Lucia feels this bite all too sharply as the victim of photo-shopped blackmail pictures. This is a very real concern many in the lifestyle fear. Ms. Mayburn gracefully resolves the conflict in a way that is not exactly a win-win, but it does stop the blackmail and the victim is not ruined. Well, maybe Lucia is a bit tarnished in her family’s eyes.

Ms. Mayburn’s forte is her relationship building. She constructs her characters carefully with just enough flaws to make them human. Then she adds in a dash of humour, snark and fortitude. Her characters come together because they have to overcome their individual fears in order to be comfortable in with each other. Is this not what everyone hopes to find? Someone who will appreciate and love them for themselves – warts and all? Riding alongside the character’s journey is both enjoyable and frustrating at times. It is enjoyable because Ms. Mayburn’s comedic timing is perfect. The frustrating part plays out when the characters do something which the reader knows will result in a miscommunication or hurt feelings. It makes the reader want to yell at the character. “Stop! Why? Why are you doing this?”

This kinky book is recommended to new to BDSM readers who want a taste of the exciting forbidden fruit.

* Book provided by BDSM Book Reviews *

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Wicked Valentine.

January 30, 2013 – Shelved
Started Reading
February 19, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Mayburn So glad you liked it. :) This is, by far, the vanillaist(est?) book in the series. I like to call it my BDSM training wheels book. It will, hopefully, set you up with a basic understanding of the power dynamic in D/s couples. Then, in My Wicked Nanny, I take the training wheels off. In My Wicked Devil I push you onto the side walk, then in My Wicked Captive I push you down a hill. :D

Christie I loved it Ann.. I thought it was vanilla and sweet and it didn't bother me a bit..Not all stories have to take it to the hard limit of peoples will.. Isaac and Lucia was a great combo together..

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Ann wrote: "So glad you liked it. :) This is, by far, the vanillaist(est?) book in the series. I like to call it my BDSM training wheels book. It will, hopefully, set you up with a basic understanding of the p..."

Awesome! Then I guess Nanny and Captive are on my list to read! This was sweet with the SugarKink. I thought it was well done. Realistic (well other than the rich people part.)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ I love Ann's description of how this series will progress! Just went from "maybe" to "wishlist", with FYI to friends. So glad to know I can count on certain authors/books! :-)

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Mayburn -happy sigh- Thank you so much for your kind words. It makes the edits that I'm currently chin deep in easier to bear. Now...back to the madness. :P

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Ann wrote: "-happy sigh- Thank you so much for your kind words. It makes the edits that I'm currently chin deep in easier to bear. Now...back to the madness. :P"

^_^

Delia Binder Sounds promising - and I see Sindra van Yssel liked it a lot! Since I'm really loving her books (and wish she would write more of the gang at Bondage Ranch, soon!), that would normally be a recommendation - except I've been burned recently by writers I really like liking writers I really don't.

Delia Binder Okay, I bought it and am reading it as we speak! :)

Delia Binder Okay, I really liked this one - a welcome change after a few too many books of Rich Asshole Doms Behaving Badly to the Women They Supposedly Love! (I swear, every FIFTY SHADES knockoff I read brings out my Inner Second Wave Feminist Socialist more and more....)

Review to come - but yes, La Crimson Femme, you and Sindra van Yssel were right. Isaac and Lucia are how you write a "Troubled Rich Dom" so the audience still cares that he be happy with his subbe of choice.

zoegrl Always enjoy reading your reviews, they've helped me decide if i want to read a book or two. i agree Ms. Mayburn. Look forward to reading the rest of the Series, i loved this one. i started with Ivan's story. Love them Russian Men. ;-)