Brenda's Reviews > Dark Horse

Dark Horse by Honey Brown

bookshelves: 2013-release, aussie-authors, thriller, arc, australian-thriller, net-galley, own-read, read-on-kindle

Tansy was frisky, shying away from the horse float, not wanting to go inside at all. Sarah, light and fine boned, was no match for the big black horse, especially while she was throwing her head around. When Sarah found herself flat on the ground, dazed and bleeding, with a jaw that felt broken, she knew the battle was over. Tansy had won! After putting her beloved horse in the yard, and backing the float into the garage, she went inside to clean up. The hour was still early, but it was Christmas Day…no way was she going to her Mum and Dad’s for Christmas lunch. The traumas she had just been through, including putting her house on the market, made her want to curl up and hide.

After a phone call to her father, which didn’t end well, her backpack loaded with some staple foods, and a few other necessities, she saddled Tansy and they headed off…up to the high country, up the Mortimer Ranges to the cabin called Hangman’s Hut she knew was nestled on top of Devil Mountain. Suddenly, only a short while into her ride, the weather changed. Tansy was unsettled, so she knew something was going to happen. And happen it did, with the storm hitting with a fury she hadn’t seen since the bushfires the previous season. Their safety was in jeopardy, but all Sarah could do was hang on, and leave Tansy to take the lead. Her horse knew the way, knew what was safe…but would they escape with their lives? Sarah wasn’t sure when the flash flood hit them, knocking the bridge out…

Drenched to the bone, Sarah and Tansy arrived at the hut to find the workmen’s caravan locked. Sarah needed to find dry clothes and she needed to settle Tansy. So she set about to do just that, and to wait out Christmas alone and isolated in the wilderness. When unexpectedly, an injured bushwalker arrived, seemingly alone, Sarah was suspicious. But Heath seemed genuine, he was definitely injured…so why didn’t his story add up? Sarah couldn’t work out what to do, but they were trapped by the weather, their phones didn’t work, therefore they had to make the most of the situation. But Sarah felt in more danger, she couldn’t work out Heath, and Tansy obviously didn’t like him!

I absolutely loved this book! The explosive twist near the end of the book was something I definitely didn’t expect…it was brilliant! Full on from the beginning, it kept me reading long into the night (clichéd but true!) Aussie author Honey Brown is a relatively new author to me, but I will definitely be reading everything of hers I can lay my hands on!
Highly recommended.

Thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Books for this ARC copy to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Horse.

January 30, 2013 – Shelved
March 23, 2013 – Started Reading
March 23, 2013 – Shelved as: read-on-kindle
March 23, 2013 – Shelved as: own-read
March 23, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Bree T Ooh I'm so looking forward to reading this one

Brenda It was amazing! I started yesterday, and read until 12.45am to finish it!

Heidi Loved Honey Brown's previous books, so can't wait to get my hands on this one!

Brenda You'll definitely enjoy it Heidi!

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet I get my signed copy on Friday. Can't wait!

Brenda Oooh you lucky devil Janet;) Enjoy!!

Suzanne This is my next one to read. I could sense your excitement Brenda and I caught it!

Brenda Haha! She's an amazing writer Suzanne:)

Suzanne My dad recommended her to me a long time ago, and it's taken me this long to get to it. Happy though, as I can see how much you like her :)

Brenda I only have one left of hers to read - The Good Daughter :)

message 11: by Li'l Owl (new) - added it

Li'l Owl Too bad I can't get this anywhere. =o(

Brenda Never mind - you might find it later at a second hand shop maybe :)

message 13: by Li'l Owl (new) - added it